• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vacation knife carry

Zeake

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
I'm going to NYC and Niagra Falls the Canada side. I'll be driving. I normally carry an OTF and a Esee 3 fixed blade, along with a gerber razor knife that doubles as a money clip.

Anyone know how Canadia feels about such knives?

Thanks

I'll be really missing my Ruger LCP and Glocks

I'm going to NYC and Niagra Falls the Canada side. I'll be driving. I normally carry an OTF and a Esee 3 fixed blade, along with a gerber razor knife that doubles as a money clip.

Anyone know how Canadia feels about such knives?

Thanks

I'll be really missing my Ruger LCP and Glocks
Don't know if it's different for non citizens.

Canada[edit]
The Canadian Criminal Code criminalizes the possession of knives which open automatically. Section 84(1) defines "a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device attached to or in the handle of the knife" as a prohibited weapon.[13] Only persons who have been granted exemption by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police through the Canadian Firearms Program are allowed to possess (but not acquire) prohibited weapons.

If a person is found in unauthorized possession of a prohibited knife by any law enforcement officer, the person is liable to a maximum of 5 years in jail and the weapon being seized. The Crown can then apply to a Provincial Court judge for the weapon to be forfeited and destroyed. The import and export of prohibited weapons is also strictly regulated and enforced by the Canada Border Services Agency.[14]

Examples of prohibited knives include:

• any knife, including a switchblade, or butterfly knife with a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife;
  • Constant Companion (belt-buckle knife);
  • finger rings with blades or other sharp objects projecting from the surface;
  • push daggers.[13][15]
Manually-opened or 'one-handed' opening knives, including spring-assisted knives, that do not fall within the categories listed as prohibited weapons definition are legal to own, import and use.[16]

There is no length restriction on carrying knives within the Criminal Code, but there is a prohibition against carrying a knife if the possessor intends to carry for a purpose dangerous to public peace or for the purpose of committing a criminal offense.[17]

What a croc of ****. For NYC don't dare have a clip visible in your pocket. The police will ALWAYS demand to see it. They arrest people for having "Gravity" knives. My esee izula is legal in NYC, It's the most "dangerous" knife I carry. Stupid politicians.

Don't know if it's different for non citizens.

Canada[edit]
The Canadian Criminal Code criminalizes the possession of knives which open automatically. Section 84(1) defines "a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device attached to or in the handle of the knife" as a prohibited weapon.[13] Only persons who have been granted exemption by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police through the Canadian Firearms Program are allowed to possess (but not acquire) prohibited weapons.

If a person is found in unauthorized possession of a prohibited knife by any law enforcement officer, the person is liable to a maximum of 5 years in jail and the weapon being seized. The Crown can then apply to a Provincial Court judge for the weapon to be forfeited and destroyed. The import and export of prohibited weapons is also strictly regulated and enforced by the Canada Border Services Agency.[14]

Examples of prohibited knives include:

• any knife, including a switchblade, or butterfly knife with a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife;
  • Constant Companion (belt-buckle knife);
  • finger rings with blades or other sharp objects projecting from the surface;
  • push daggers.[13][15]
Manually-opened or 'one-handed' opening knives, including spring-assisted knives, that do not fall within the categories listed as prohibited weapons definition are legal to own, import and use.[16]

There is no length restriction on carrying knives within the Criminal Code, but there is a prohibition against carrying a knife if the possessor intends to carry for a purpose dangerous to public peace or for the purpose of committing a criminal offense.[17]

I always love the no spring loaded knives. I wonder if they know how fast you can open a non spring loaded spyderco with the correct flick

I always love the no spring loaded knives. I wonder if they know how fast you can open a non spring loaded spyderco with the correct flick

While not specifically listed, you have to wonder if Emerson feature knives would somehow be "messaged" into the prohibited category. I'm sure some official might try to spin it and not buy the "hey, it's just a bottle opener" defense. :)

While not specifically listed, you have to wonder if Emerson feature knives would somehow be "messaged" into the prohibited category. I'm sure some official might try to spin it and not buy the "hey, it's just a bottle opener" defense. :)

yup hard to see where it ends. I've often wondered when it comes to devises that help open a knife what they could say about the spyderco hole.

Back
Top Bottom