• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

valuable post - SHTF skills?

Heck I don't know what I "would" do but I dang sure know what I will plan do do and who I will strive to be. I may buckle under the pressure but I'm not going to bail out on my morals before they are even tested.

The analogy for me here is similar to training for deadly confrontation. None of us say "Well you really don't know what you will do so there is no bother training".

You know crippen crippen I don't know if I've ever told you, but you're ok by me! :thumb:

... Here's another ethical dilemma in a S.H.T.F. scenario:

... 10 children in the neighborhood are sick and will likely die without a certain medication.
You have none of that medication, and neither do any of these kids' parents or relatives.

The local drugstore is closed, and not open for business, but it has not been looted yet.

You KNOW that the necessary drugs are inside the store.

You and other community leaders have made contact with the store's owner, who says "LEAVE MY STORE ALONE-- I'LL OPEN IT IN A FEW WEEKS AND START SELLING DRUGS AT OUTRAGEOUSLY HIGH PRICES, milking this crisis for all I can get!" That's his right, as the business owner and the ONLY rightful owner over all the medications in the building.

However, most or all of those 10 sick kids will be dead in the next 48 hours. None will live long enough to wait for the store's owner to re-open the business.

QUESTION 1: DO YOU BREAK IN AND STEAL THE DRUGS so that you can distribute them to the sick kids?
Assume you could do this without hurting anybody, so you're just damaging property and stealing supplies.

QUESTION 2: Suppose there is a hired security guard at the drug store. You cannot get past him with persuasion, trickery, or non-lethal means. The only way to successfully get the drugs is to kill him in an ambush / sniper attack and then step over his corpse to get into the building.

Killing the security officer will save the lives of 10 innocent children.
Will you become a looter and murderer and contribute to the anarchy, for this noble purpose?

... 10 children in the neighborhood are sick and will likely die without a certain medication.
You have none of that medication, and neither do any of these kids' parents or relatives.

The local drugstore is closed, and not open for business, but it has not been looted yet.

You and other community leaders have made contact with the store's owner, who says "LEAVE MY STORE ALONE-- I'LL OPEN IT IN A FEW WEEKS AND START SELLING DRUGS AT OUTRAGEOUSLY HIGH PRICES, milking this crisis for all I can get!" That's his right, as the business owner and the ONLY rightful owner over all the medications in the building.

However, most or all of those 10 sick kids will be dead in the next 48 hours. None will live long enough to wait for the store's owner to re-open the business.

QUESTION 1: DO YOU BREAK IN AND STEAL THE DRUGS so that you can distribute them to the sick kids?
Assume you could do this without hurting anybody, so you're just damaging property and stealing supplies.

QUESTION 2: Suppose there is a hired security guard at the drug store. You cannot get past him with persuasion, trickery, or non-lethal means. The only way to successfully get the drugs is to kill him in an ambush / sniper attack and then step over his corpse to get into the building.

Will you become a looter and murderer and contribute to the anarchy, for this noble purpose?

Kidnap pharmacist, make him open store and give you meds while standing down any security, leave him with IOU from the heads of all families concerned and whatever local government official you can get to sign off on it, then berate the ass for being a piece of **** that would allow children to die for a possible future gouged profit. That's what I would try to do if reason doesn't work at first.

ODT type answer to #1 is yes (even if he wasn't going to sell them at outrageously high prices.)
ODT type answer to #2 is we're going to need some bandages for that guards elbow, it's a good thing we're in a drug store! :becky: Cause it's always life above property and women and children FIRST!

Back
Top Bottom