• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Value of firearms for division of assets

When I got divorced I GAVE my guns to a friend. He GAVE them back after court.

For asset valuations, I'd list them then use the lowest, most pathetic lowball offers to establish monetary value.

"Your honor, the most I was offered for my Glock 45 was $230 from a feller in Bainbridge. I'll give my ex wife the $115 in consideration of her 50% ownership stake."

Go to a pawn shop and get a estimate. Then tell the recipient you will just just give them cash to keep them from having fool with it. Tell them you are helping them out. LOL Unless they are gin wise then you will be in for a scap.

Definitely don't use the prices on here as values. She'd make out like a bandit.
Gunbroker is your friend. You can get current market value for each one and get numbers that include condition. I have sold several collections over the years, each one somehow referring the next. I wasn't looking to do them, but each seller offered me pick of the litter for the work. It'll take a hot minute to unload them all unless you take lower than resale value. (I see this was posted almost a year ago to start) A lot of people list guns for sale at absurd prices and the ad last 3 years before it goes away. Those who list theirs at a good, realistic price sell them in a few days, or even a couple hours for the right gun. I think I had a few undesirable ones that I ended up buying for pennies on the dollar as I bout couldn't give them away. It can seem overwhelming though, especially knowing you're giving up half. I mean, I *heard* about a guy who left his in his truck in a parking lot and when he came out of the store, they were gone. Obviously he didn't report it, though I read he told his soon to be X he had and to boot he blamed her for it since he was carrying them to sell when they were stolen. (I am NOT giving advice or suggesting anything here, just regurgitating a story I read once)

Back
Top Bottom