• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vehicle hidden compartment

I believe that refers to a "secret" compartment, as in one could not expect there to be stuff hidden. Like making a compartment in your door behind paneling. For instance, the safes and and storage under a rear bench are not illegal. Many vehicles nowadays have compartments all over the place for the reason of hiding stuff from thieves. I honestly wouldn't think too much into it. "With the intent to conceal, hide, or prevent discovery by law enforcement officer." They would have to prove your intent, which is difficult. If you have no priors, I would see this very difficult with the wording you posted up.

Looks like section (1)(A) of the law would clear you, unless the gun was stolen, used in a crime, or you are a felon. Goes to intent.
I am not an attorney, so YMMV.

I AM a lawyer, and that Code section says that it only applies to compartments that either actually ARE used to hold contraband, or which the State can prove you INTENDED to use to smuggle contraband. Specific intent is not easy for the State to prove unless, well, unless you're really guilty and weren't careful about talking about cool your new meth-hiding box is. Under the right circumstances (and circumstantial evidence can be used to prove intent, even without incriminating admissions), you could get convicted even if there was no contraband in that hidden compartment when the cops discovered it.

I DON'T see any truly innocent person being charged under that law-- that's assuming you never carried drugs in there, never told people you did, never posted pics of your new hidden box on FaceBook and joked that you could fit 50 grand worth of cocaine in there, etc.

Reminder: This law's very definition of a "false or secret compartment" excludes compartments, even hidden ones, that aren't intended or used to smuggle people, drugs, or other contraband.

:becky:
Mexico...:becky:
Not so hidden...
rtrkpql (1).jpg

Just this past week I got email from the Toyota dealer in Athens....where I bought my car...to the effect that the new Tundras have a secret locking compartment in the console, AND that they can be retro-fitted to late model Tundras if you want to upgrade your truck.

Just this past week I got email from the Toyota dealer in Athens....where I bought my car...to the effect that the new Tundras have a secret locking compartment in the console, AND that they can be retro-fitted to late model Tundras if you want to upgrade your truck.
So a hidden compartment is OK if we are told where it is?

Back
Top Bottom