• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vehicle searches

Status
Not open for further replies.
More like right to be Fired state

That's not quite the way to look at it, I like to think of it as a "right to work somewhere else". I work for an electrical contractor. I use my van and tools (with compensation). I'm in a unique situation that I can tell a customer that "No, you cannot search my vehicle" and still be fairly assured of my job security. About the only place that I don't take my van onsite is Lockheed. That could turn out to be a bit of a sticky wicket.

Wheeler

yea where i work has policy against any weapons that you have to have permit for, and they have a "random" lottery at badging stations at gates if red lighted they will look in your vehicle. its so random that one day after a union grievance meeting, heading out seen guard answer phone look at me pulling up to gate, badged and redlighted. hung up phone and checked console and glovebox, let me leave

I worked at a job like that. They did not allow weapons on the property at all. They fired someone because of it. Thats one main reason I love my job! I have a kel tec sub 2000 leaning up on the desk as we speak!

I worked at a job like that. They did not allow weapons on the property at all.
This would be the case where I am also. The intent of the policy , as told to me, is to try to provide a safe work place. You and I would both agree that if someone was determined to commit a violent act they're not going to give a moments thought to some policy.

This would be the case where I am also. The intent of the policy , as told to me, is to try to provide a safe work place. You and I would both agree that if someone was determined to commit a violent act they're not going to give a moments thought to some policy.

You got it. Schools are "gun free zones" and yet school shootings do happen. Now if teachers could carry guns.... They would not happen as often and the death toll would be a lot less

I can't understand how companies can restrict a constitutional right. Nowhere in the constitution does it say that any private entity has the right to deny a citizen his or her rights.

If you are in a plant/store/business and someone comes in killing people but you are unarmed because of company policy and you are wounded shouldn't you have the right to sue the company for recklessly endangering your life by denying you your right to protect yourself?

I can't understand how companies can restrict a constitutional right. Nowhere in the constitution does it say that any private entity has the right to deny a citizen his or her rights.

If you are in a plant/store/business and someone comes in killing people but you are unarmed because of company policy and you are wounded shouldn't you have the right to sue the company for recklessly endangering your life by denying you your right to protect yourself?

Your personal rights do not supercede my rights as the owner of the business, property, etc. You do not have the the right to use one of your rights to run roughshod over my property or preferences. This is similar to the idea that the alleged "right to healthcare" would allow someone to force another person to devote a portion of their life to serve the rights of another individual. Totally off topic, but if we are going to allow that type of thing then we might as well resort back to slavery.

and yes, if you are injured on someone else's property because they failed to provide adequate security then you will be able to recover damages in the courts. This is not my opinion. It happens every day.

Isn't it funny how the government enforces RIGHTS in such a hap-hazard manner. A business can't refuse to employ you for being black, asian, female, gay etc... but they can trample your right ro keep and bear arms and apparently they can curtail your right to free speech as well.

jawjawdawg - I find it interesting that you flatly state that your "preferences" are more important than my "rights". That's the fine reasoning that we are living with today. I guess we just all need to make adjustments so as not to ride roughshod over anyones "preferences".

Line up and turn in your guns boys...the liberals PREFER we be unarmed, our rights notwithstanding.

As for business providing adequate security, well, that's the victims creed isn't it? "Protect me for I cannot protect myself." I'd prefer(theres that word again) to be PROactive and FORCE people to respect our RIGHTS than to beg them to protect me and compensate me if they fail to.

Isn't it funny how the government enforces RIGHTS in such a hap-hazard manner. A business can't refuse to employ you for being black, asian, female, gay etc... but they can trample your right ro keep and bear arms and apparently they can curtail your right to free speech as well.

jawjawdawg - I find it interesting that you flatly state that your "preferences" are more important than my "rights". That's the fine reasoning that we are living with today. I guess we just all need to make adjustments so as not to ride roughshod over anyones "preferences".

Line up and turn in your guns boys...the liberals PREFER we be unarmed, our rights notwithstanding.

As for business providing adequate security, well, that's the victims creed isn't it? "Protect me for I cannot protect myself." I'd prefer(theres that word again) to be PROactive and FORCE people to respect our RIGHTS than to beg them to protect me and compensate me if they fail to.

My preferences...my rights - they are one and the same when it comes to who can bring what on to MY property. I don't particularly want or feel the need to have other people bring guns in to my business. I've got plenty on hand already, thank you. That is my right and my preference. Carry your gun all day on the street, as that is your right. When you enter my property you voluntarily dismiss your rights until you leave my property. Got it? If you don't like it then don't come on to my property. It is really a very simple concept for most people to understand. You also have the right to peaceably assemble to protest or petition the government. I guess you also think that means you have the right to assemble and petition the government from the comforts of my living room if you so choose, without my consent, huh?

The conservatives are on my side on this issue - this is a property right, not a 2nd Amendment right. How does it feel to be a liberal?

Last edited:
Wow...I guess the name calling is open for business. Don't sweat it, I would NEVER want to do business with you nor step on your property(might need a place to have my septic tank pumped out to tho). And Ive been voting as conservative as I can for 25 years now. The difference between you and me is I believe in the Constitution and the rights guaranteed therein. You just believe you have the right to walk all over anyone whose real rights impinge on your preferences. For you to have such a narrow-minded attitude towards the lawful right to carry by legally armed citizens speaks volumes about your true concept of America. After reading your posts I think I smell something stuck to the bottom of my shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom