• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Velocity Boost! .223 Remington- good read

davis211

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
27   0
Reaction score
I picked up a Varmint magazine on the way back from our WY prairie dog shoot- had a good article about .223 & Western powders. They pushed a 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3574 (24" barrel) while my 55gr Vmax's are running around 3180 with H335.
Check it out & chime in. I'm thinking about working up a load for the next trip- very carefully!

http://www.bergerbullets.com/articles/223-remington-john-haviland.pdf

Good reading material, a question what is the pressure, and velocity limits before throat erosion occurs or barrel life is shortened?
Similar to what happens with the 220 Swift, and 220 Russian calibers.

Thanks for some thought provoking questions to search out. We can all learn something when do two things before speaking.

1)We all have two (2) ears to listen with......

2)We all have two (2) eyes to read with.......

3)Amazing how we have only one mouth and how quickly it can get ME in trouble before using the first (2) listed.....................
before saying anything. ( :>O

Thanks again...

It looks like they're running 5.56 pressures of 62,350 in the .223 data.
I'm sure throat erosion will occur faster due to the increase in velocity & heat up would too. Some shooters will never fire enough to wear a barrel out some others will. That's one reason I like the Savage rifles- they're easy to rebarrel- been there & done that.
It probably wouldn't be a good idea for high volume pdog shooting but ok for the predator or deer hunter to try out.
We ran into the problem of watching our barrel temps which will burn one out if not careful. We cleaned every 50 rounds (2 pulls of bore snake / 4 wet Shooters Choice / 3 dry) & kept the barrels where we could hold our hands on them.
Anyway...interesting article for the .223 reloader. I would definitely use caution & examine brass/primers while working up.

Throat erosion can be managed a bit by using slower powders. H1000 is quickly becoming the go to powder for 243. Guys who shoot a lot of matches swear their bbl life is going up.

Back
Top Bottom