• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Venison backstraps recipe

Bacon wrapped, with a a marinade/glaze brushed on. My homemade marinade/glaze consists of apple juice, garlic, butter, brown sugar and as the base, add other seasonings to taste or leave at just that. I've cooked it on a smoker, charcoal grill, and gas grill the best two results were on the smoker or gas grill. Thin sliced bacon so it gets crispy.

cut 11/2" thick, butterfly, sprinkle lowerys lightly , wrap bacon around filets, secure with toothpicks, grill to just under med. been doing them like that for 21 yrs. now

Took me a minute to get back to this but here goes.......

Cut backstrap into thick steaks. Thickness should depend on the temp you like your steak. Rarer=thicker, more well done=thinner.

Marinade......

Soy sauce, sweet thai chilli sauce, colemans mustard powder, garlic, green onion, a little ginger, black pepper. I like marinade to be slightly warm when I put steaks in. Marinate over night in fridge.

I like to soak bacon slices in marinade as well and wrap after I pull from marinade. Grill steaks on very high heat. 500 degrees +.

I like to serve with a blueberry jalapeno chutney. I dont really follow a recipe for that I just use fresh blueberries and finely diced jalapeno and loosely follow a general chutney recipe making sure to ere on the side of savory instead of sweet.

Note....how you process meat makes a big difference. If it was an older deer shot up in the mountains late in the year that was living off nettles and bark I like to take steaks and soak in 5 parts water 1 part white vinegar for about 10 minutes. This creates a chemical reaction that actually draws the blood from the meat reducing overly gamey flavor. Much more effective than repeatedly soaking/draining off water. If it was a big fat doe taken from farmland I generally dont bother as I like the flavor of venison.

For loins I do something much more simple. Lipton onion soup mix with a touch of Worcestershire Sauce for about an hour, grill to desired temp, serve with wild rice and peas.

One of my favorites is actually a venison stew. I cut up the rumps into stew meat. Process as appropriate depending on deer. Last year I started pressure canning for storage and have noticed it makes the meat very tender but not necessary.

Coat meat with a little colemans mustard powder and salt. Wont taste of mustard no worries. Brown (a proper sear) the meat on high heat in equal parts bacon fat, olive oil, and butter. Skip this if using canned but I still like to soak for a moment in melted butter or olive oil. Remove meat put in crock pot. Put a little beef stock in pan to deglaze and scrape up all drippings with spatula and pour over meat in crock pot. Add appropriate amount of beef stock you desire depending on how much you are making. Add parsnips, turnips, sweet potato, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, tomato, tomato paste (I char in sautee pan to bring out flavor), small amount of Worcestershire, dry mustard powder, parsley, salt and pepper, a bay leaf or 2, a little extra bacon fat or olive oil. Liquid amount should just barely cover all ingredients. Crockpot on low for about 8 hours until it smells so good you cant stand it.

Remove all solids into separate bowl. Put liquid into pot and thicken (you can do in crockpot on high but I find it takes forever) by adding cornstarch dissolved in water until desired thickness. Pour back over stew and serve with fresh bread or over Sadza (african style thickened grits if you aren't familiar look up how to make).

I generally start with about 2.5 lbs of venison because I love having leftovers of this in the freezer.

Mmmmmm. Alright. I'm making some venison for dinner now.

Back
Top Bottom