• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vent rib barrel on a “tactical” shotgun

Not sure of the original purpose of the vent rib barrel. But the major difference they wound up making was to get Fudds to pay MORE for a better looking version of the same shotgun "Back in 'da day".

You don’t aim a shotgun used for flying or small fast game. You point it. The vent rib gives you a flat plane, which helps keep the shotgun from being canted when pointing. Also, I’ve read that under heavy use, the vent rib keeps down the heat haze coming off the barrel. There’s a reason most all competitive shotgunners (Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, etc.) use VR barrels.

If I’m wrong on any of that, mikey357 mikey357 will correct me!

I like the S&W scatterguns.....just because.
I have one of the other less successful Smith pump guns too. Remember the Eastfield 916 ? They had tang safeties like Mossbergs. Wish I had my JC Higgins model 20 back. Smoothest action I ever saw on a pump gun. And with only one action bar. Still want a Stevens 67 to complete my budget ugly shotguns of the 70s collection.

You don’t aim a shotgun used for flying or small fast game. You point it. The vent rib gives you a flat plane, which helps keep the shotgun from being canted when pointing. Also, I’ve read that under heavy use, the vent rib keeps down the heat haze coming off the barrel. There’s a reason most all competitive shotgunners (Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, etc.) use VR barrels.

If I’m wrong on any of that, mikey357 mikey357 will correct me!
Sounds about right. I thought they were supposed to reduce glare as well.

This one was cut by hand to 18.25 and then dressed. I kinda like the look. We got the bead a little off center though :doh:
27DC0E3D-E9F9-433D-BA11-D2B4DD93346C.jpeg
EC05930C-0ADD-4760-8BEF-1344ED384178.jpeg
B9950171-09C4-4634-956D-9DCED9C2FB95.jpeg

If you check out those old pics of Bonnie and Clyde and their cache of guns one of them was either a Browning A5 cut way down or I believe an old Remington that had the same hump back receiver. For some reason it was referred to as a "Whippet" Same name as the small bottles of groovy gas used to whip cream.
But anyway... I think one of those old A5 style Trench Brooms would be THE coolest shotgun ever.

Shorter barrels with vent ribs..... this is an older Remington 870 Super Mag that was built from spare parts and loose change I had laying around. Barrel is around 19" to allow for the mag extension, stock/forend is magpul from another project, o-light for a bump in the night. The awesome color tone is courtesy of Krylon. Has some old truglo Turkey sights on the rib and is surprisingly accurate with slugs, and patterns buck better than expected. It was one of those "I'm bored, let's tinker on something" days. 20191218_104716.jpg

Back
Top Bottom