• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vent rib barrel on a “tactical” shotgun

If you check out those old pics of Bonnie and Clyde and their cache of guns one of them was either a Browning A5 cut way down or I believe an old Remington that had the same hump back receiver. For some reason it was referred to as a "Whippet" Same name as the small bottles of groovy gas used to whip cream.
But anyway... I think one of those old A5 style Trench Brooms would be THE coolest shotgun ever.
“ groovy gas” when I was a kid in the country nobody had cars to go buy pot. Lotta kids started huffing Freon. I see those guys nowadays and wonder how they made it. Clyde was apparently know to work that browning like a surgeon. He kept it hidden under one of those Sinatra style coats and just kinda...whipped it out. (No pun intended).

Since were all shotty talking, anyone know of the wooden pump and assembly as well as wooden stock from a 500 will fit the 88? Something about plastic guns is so underwhelming

You don’t aim a shotgun used for flying or small fast game. You point it. The vent rib gives you a flat plane, which helps keep the shotgun from being canted when pointing. Also, I’ve read that under heavy use, the vent rib keeps down the heat haze coming off the barrel. There’s a reason most all competitive shotgunners (Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, etc.) use VR barrels.

If I’m wrong on any of that, mikey357 mikey357 will correct me!
He ain’t chimed in but you got it. VENT rib. Basically a heat sink that air can pass through so it’ll warm up slower and cool faster. Putting it along the top just aided “aiming” and aesthetics.

My sporting shotgun barrels mostly have vent ribs, so it would be advantageous to have the same familiar "sight picture" on the home defense shotty, too.

But, currently I don't enjoy that advantage. I have one shotgun that serves double duty, and its 18.5 inch cylinder bore barrel is plain top, whereas the long sporting barrel that use screw-in chokes has a vent rib.

My sporting shotgun barrels mostly have vent ribs, so it would be advantageous to have the same familiar "sight picture" on the home defense shotty, too.

But, currently I don't enjoy that advantage. I have one shotgun that serves double duty, and its 18.5 inch cylinder bore barrel is plain top, whereas the long sporting barrel that use screw-in chokes has a vent rib.

This barrel was a 28” vent rib with RemChokes, before I hacked it off. Got it so cheap, it was worth doing.

You don’t aim a shotgun used for flying or small fast game. You point it. The vent rib gives you a flat plane, which helps keep the shotgun from being canted when pointing. Also, I’ve read that under heavy use, the vent rib keeps down the heat haze coming off the barrel. There’s a reason most all competitive shotgunners (Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, etc.) use VR barrels.

If I’m wrong on any of that, mikey357 mikey357 will correct me!

You've got it exactly right, Rob--Carry on! :)

Since were all shotty talking, anyone know of the wooden pump and assembly as well as wooden stock from a 500 will fit the 88? Something about plastic guns is so underwhelming
Never 9wned a Maverick but have had a few 500s. I'm pretty certain that the action bars are secured to the forearm in a different way as in pinned or riveted. That and the push button style safety are the 2 differences on the models. So I think the stock will bolt right up but not the forearm. If there is or ever was wood available for the 88 you will most likely find it soon er or later on eBay. Possibly Numrich as well. But eBay will be cheaper.

Got a brass bead kit in from Brownell’s and finished ‘er up.

4255DD11-3640-4634-8806-8592DBE62834.jpeg
B16B4666-8DF6-4F64-B1A6-FCA5DFA25BA1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom