• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Very Impressed

If you really want to do it up, after you remove all the pins, dump the damp brass on a full size bath towel. Then spray it all down with hornady one shot case lube.

Hold the towel end to end to form a hammock with the brass cradled in the bottom. Pull the hammock back and forth to tumble the brass within.

That’ll quickly remove most of the water while also evenly coating all the brass in the one shot. Then let sit under a fan for an hour or two.

Brass will remain shiny and blond indefinitely from my experience. I have 5 gallon buckets of brass done this way that still looks brand new after years of storage.

It’ll also run thru the press like butter when you go to load them.

Attachments

• F0B922EA-17B1-42C8-BE0C-1A15C01CB60C.jpeg
    F0B922EA-17B1-42C8-BE0C-1A15C01CB60C.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DB0ECC0F-3D79-4A32-83D4-ECC388A5968A.jpeg
    DB0ECC0F-3D79-4A32-83D4-ECC388A5968A.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 811E3C08-C5A9-4252-8138-D09F8684124C.jpeg
    811E3C08-C5A9-4252-8138-D09F8684124C.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 16
The only problem I have encountered with wet tumbling is with 9/45/40 on my Dillon 650. The brass is too clean. It wants to stick just a bit on station 2 when the case is belled. This seems to be a common issue as the cases lack a bit of carbon which acts as a lube. I have worked through this by monitoring the resistance and when it stars causing a few pieces of powder to escape the case I remove the expander/ powder through part of the die and polish with 2200 grit paper. Bill V

The only problem I have encountered with wet tumbling is with 9/45/40 on my Dillon 650. The brass is too clean. It wants to stick just a bit on station 2 when the case is belled. This seems to be a common issue as the cases lack a bit of carbon which acts as a lube. I have worked through this by monitoring the resistance and when it stars causing a few pieces of powder to escape the case I remove the expander/ powder through part of the die and polish with 2200 grit paper. Bill V
I have noticed this as well, I simply removed the powder funnel and polished it real quick, then put it back in. The issue was solved quickly and easily now no more sticking brass:)

I have noticed this as well, I simply removed the powder funnel and polished it real quick, then put it back in. The issue was solved quickly and easily now no more sticking brass:)
When the 1050 starts "sticking" I found that just running your index finger and thumb around the expander/funnel will stop it for a few rounds.

The big help for me is AFTER wet tumbling (9mm mostly) I toss the brass in a large container filled with old corn cob media from the Thumler's tumblers I keep for rifle brass. The dust will lightly coat the cases and seems to provide a little lubrication without a mess.

One hazard of steel pins and wet tumbling is the rare occasion where two to three pins get stuck in the flash hole. The downstroke will stop as the decapping pin hits the pins and you shouldn't force it, just remove the case in station one and then double check the case which was to be filled with powder at station 4 to make sure it's not overfilled.

When the 1050 starts "sticking" I found that just running your index finger and thumb around the expander/funnel will stop it for a few rounds.

The big help for me is AFTER wet tumbling (9mm mostly) I toss the brass in a large container filled with old corn cob media from the Thumler's tumblers I keep for rifle brass. The dust will lightly coat the cases and seems to provide a little lubrication without a mess.

One hazard of steel pins and wet tumbling is the rare occasion where two to three pins get stuck in the flash hole. The downstroke will stop as the decapping pin hits the pins and you shouldn't force it, just remove the case in station one and then double check the case which was to be filled with powder at station 4 to make sure it's not overfilled.
Yes! You do have to watch the steel pins. I do check each case for just that and I also tap them each on the bench once for the pins that rarely, but sometimes get caught inside the case. It does take a few extra seconds to do but obviously needed.

I don’t mess with the steel pins at all. That’s one less thing I have to deal with. I have a dedicated 1100 just for 9mm only. After wet tumbling and drying they just go in a large tub till I’m ready to load them. After polishing the powder funnel one time, I have never had to mess with it again.

Back
Top Bottom