• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Veteran discount at Home Depot

I rarely shop in store at Lowes. I buy it online and pick it up at the customer service desk already paid for and ready to pick up. If you registered with them you automatically get a discount when shopping online. They will even bring it to your vehicle if you want to go that route. Just call them when you arrive and tell them where you are parked. Not quite that bad off yet but it is a nice option for some who need it.
At home depot, most anything you buy online has a free delivery option so I just let them deliver it to my door.

I lost my 214 form years ago don’t know how to get it replaced . I took a picture of my honorable discharge keep it own my phone. Home Depot wouldn’t honor that Yet sometimes have been that store and cashier just ask if was a vet I say yes and get discount. Go figure
Go to your nearest Ga. Dept. of Veteran Affairs Office and they will help you get a copy of your DD214.

My sentiments exactly. In fact when someone thanks me for my service I reply thanks for letting me serve. I would have went to jail otherwise.
I tell them, "It was my privilege, no thanks necessary." If they give me a discount, I appreciate it but I don't get a case of the red ass about it if they don't offer.

I asked in both the Lowes stores and at HD why they went to the verification. I was told in both places that when the cashier would ask for ID there were dirt bags who got real uppidty with them and get all bitchy about "How DARE you ask for proof that I'm a vet!!"..the cashiers would get intimidated to the point they stopped asking. Now, if I had to guess, the guy (or gal) squawking about showing proof of vet status probably wasn't a vet...at least I hope so. But there you go as to why it's a hassle now.

If you're shopping online a lot of businesses are using IDme. I know some guys ain't gonna sign up to a website nobody's ever heard of, but the IRS was going to use them for a true ID'ng method a couple years ago, so I would think it's pretty secure. Most places online with Vet discounts are using them. Wrangler and Moultrie and New Balance are three that come to mind. If you sign up, you're just about instantly approved, so they already have an access to your DD 214 records, and all they need is your name and dates of service. They also now have their own Internet store with links to special deals offered by businesses. If you got the last VA email, they're now promoting it there.

Everytime someone offers me a veterans discount (usually when they see my USAA card) I tell them to give my discount as an extra to someone who got wounded. It's nice and all but not why I served.
I agree. Somebody who was drafted or served in combat? Those guys should receive a discount. I was commissioned because that's what I WANTED.

Both stores are no longer giving vet discounts on big ticket items like appliances because the veteran discount was being abused by vets buying those items for nonvets...and I don't blame them. We are our own worst enemy because of knuckleheads who just HAVE to abuse the privilege.
isnt it like that in everything? always trying to game the system?

Back
Top Bottom