• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Veteran discount at Home Depot

I retired after 23 years in the Air Force. I was one step ahead of the Army draft in 1970 (I was number 12 in the draft lottery drawn December 1969). I spent some time in combat and thankfully didn't get wounded seriously.

I shop at Lowe's frequently. Years ago I was buying some expensive appliances and the clerk told me about the discount. I applied and received a "Lowe's Card" that I carry in my wallet. The clerk scans it, then I come up on the register. Some also ask to see my military ID and I'm proud to show them my retired ID. They always thank me for my service and I say "I'd do it again in a heartbeat" and take my 10% discount. It adds up. Even if they didn't give me the discount I'd still shop there over Home Depot.

Lowe's also has 3 or 4 parking spaces for Veterans up close to the front and I'll park in one if they are open. I don't worry about knocking a disabled vet out of the space since the handicapped slots are closer than the vets.

I always acknowledge and thank's for the service when I see a guy in a retired hat or military retiree hat or tee shirt. Often we end up shooting the breeze and recently I ran into a guy that served at the same time I did in the Philippines and was stationed in the same unit copying Morse code like I did, but he was on another flight so I just saw him now and then and was never friends, but we spent some time talking about MacArthur Highway and Fields Avenue and Michael's Bar, the Rumors, the Brown Jug and Fire Empire. It is truly a small world.

Seems suspicious to me why they need a copy of your 214 when all vets can carry a VA or active duty card as proof.
Not all vets are active duty with CAC cards, military ID or retiree IDs. I did 68-76 and don't have either and I'm just as much a veteran as anyone else. The DD214 is the only proof that most governmental agencies (and some other companies) will accept - I had to provide my DD214 to USAA to get their insurance, for instance.

Yup. You used to have to be a veteran who was inducted into the military IN GEORGIA during a conflict but that's been changed now. My DL has Veteran on the bottom right, and there is an American flag top right that also shows you're a veteran. To get that on your DL you have to provide a copy of your DD214.

If you're shopping online a lot of businesses are using IDme. I know some guys ain't gonna sign up to a website nobody's ever heard of, but the IRS was going to use them for a true ID'ng method a couple years ago, so I would think it's pretty secure. Most places online with Vet discounts are using them. Wrangler and Moultrie and New Balance are three that come to mind. If you sign up, you're just about instantly approved, so they already have an access to your DD 214 records, and all they need is your name and dates of service. They also now have their own Internet store with links to special deals offered by businesses. If you got the last VA email, they're now promoting it there.
I set up an ID.ME account. Didn't take long and saves a ton of time buying online.

I have my 214 on file with my Lowe’s Card profile. Was in a couple of weeks ago and the cashier told me Lowe’s no longer gives discounts on major appliances AND lumber.
In that case Home Depot has the same appliances for 10% less usually...If you prefer Lowes they price match, so you can still get 10% off Lowes price..Just keep the price of HD on your cell

Back
Top Bottom