• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Veteran Medical Care/Insurance

Eggmanmja01

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Though I Be The Lone Survivor! RLTW
283   0
Reaction score
I would like to hear thoughts from others about veteran medical care. Do you just use the VA health care/community care or do you also carry your own health insurance? I have both and my private is Kaiser.

VA, private, both? Maybe you could but never use the VA? I'm here for thoughts and opinions.

Thanks

I would like to hear thoughts from others about veteran medical care. Do you just use the VA health care/community care or do you also carry your own health insurance? I have both and my private is Kaiser.

Should I keep both or just use the VA? I'm here for thoughts and opinions.

Thanks
There's a VA Clinic here in Jasper. I don't use it but every time I drive by there the parking lot is pretty full up. I guess my feeling is that I don't need to add to the congestion while my own insurance, etc. seem to be working well enough for me.

I don't qualify for VA care. From what I hear about it, it's a nightmare. My wife's job provides me with private insurance, but I've never been able to get to the deductible, so I pay out of pocket for copays. I'm going to be with Medicare this November, and having her insurance as a backup. I guess the days of walking into a Dr. office or Hospital with a Blue Cross card and walking out without paying anything is long gone. I'm expecting it to get a whole lot worse when this Covid is finally under control and the insurance companies start recovering their losses.

I don't qualify for VA care. From what I hear about it, it's a nightmare. My wife's job provides me with private insurance, but I've never been able to get to the deductible, so I pay out of pocket for copays. I'm going to be with Medicare this November, and having her insurance as a backup. I guess the days of walking into a Dr. office or Hospital with a Blue Cross card and walking out without paying anything is long gone. I'm expecting it to get a whole lot worse when this Covid is finally under control and the insurance companies start recovering their losses.
I'm a veteran and I don't really know what, if anything, I'd qualify for at the VA. I'm on Medicare and have the compulsory additional medical insurance everyone must have to supplement it. My former employer contributes a pretty good amount towards that insurance and I carry what used to be called the "Plan F" plan which is the best, but most expensive. That said, I've yet had to pay anything for doctors visits and that also includes two hospital stays for emergencies, the bills for which were about $140K...... The only thing I have to do when getting or seeing a doctor is to first check whether they take Medicare consignment and also agree to Anthem (BCBS) insurance (my supplemental).

I am an honorably discharged Veteran and qualify for full VA coverage, but have never utilized them and pray I never need to. I have a Medicare Advantage plan that I am happy with. The expenses I incur under my plan I will gladly pay to not have the nightmarish situations a couple of my Veteran buddies are having. YMMV. Thanks.

VA, private, both? Maybe you could but never use the VA? I'm here for thoughts and opinions.

Thanks
I'm VA all the way. I don't even have private coverage. I'm rated 160 percent and 100 P&T though so there is that. VA has treated me well In Tennessee and Alabama. I refused to go to Atlanta though.

I'm retired Air Force and use both the VA and Medicare Advantage (with Tricare For Life as secondary). There are times when I can get seen by a private general practitioner much more quickly than with the VA. The VA is primarily for hearing aids, CPAP and other service related care. My VA and civilian general practitioner bump notes and I get my meds from the VA.

The Atlanta VAMC is frustrating. The care provided is great. It's the administrative staff and "gate keepers" that can be frustrating. The Community Based Outreach Clinics can be very good. And they're starting to build more satellite specialty clinics which keeps you out of Atlanta.

I use VA for every thing. That way it’s all in my records. I still have BCBS from my Civil Service Retirement. I kept that so I can cover my wife if she ever looses hers or if I need to go somewhere and don’t want to wait for the VA approval ,that way it pays if they don’t. Lately the VA sends me out of house for everything . Be advised, if you want VA care, they are going to make it mand to have the shot to get care. That’s the only reason I got it. I took the moderna shot before I hade to take the single shot.

Back
Top Bottom