• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Veterans - do fireworks bother you?

reklawd

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
2   0
Reaction score
A number of friends in a facespace conversation are stating that fireworks can trigger PTSD symptoms in our vets. None of the people posting about it actually served themselves, and a lot of their posts are trying to make a point that private citizens should not be allowed to purchase fireworks. So, I was wondering if this is actually an issue.

Thank you for your service!

9 times out of 10, I can tell the difference between gunfire and fireworks by the way the report sounds. But I'm not a combat vet.
As someone who had to listen to both constantly every night for years, (Thanks Detroit) i tend to ignore the fireworks and reach for a firearm if the gun fire is too close.
I'm sorta thinking that the facespace posts are more about people trying to talk you out of lighting off lady fingers because they disturb their housepets than a concern about veterans.

I've never heard of anyone I personally know being bothered by it. a few could get startled by sudden loud noises I guess but if fireworks would trigger an event I figure they would expect it and do what they could to mitigate their exposure (aka not going to a fireworks show)

im not an expert. I think its more than just loud noises and explosions to spawn a ptsd anxiety attack or something and probably varies from person to person

I will also say this on the subject. I'm a bit of an asshole maybe but I think a lot of the ptsd claims are ****ing bull**** and used as a way to get disability

I have a friend that served in Afghanistan and got shot twice over there, his wife said they make him jumpy. On the Forth he stay's at his house and turns up music. I have other friends that were over there and it doesn't bother them. I guess it all depends on the person.

I've been around Military folk since 2003 and I have never heard a single person complain about it. There is a huge difference between known noises and sudden unknown noise. I am quite sure that Soldiers with ptsd are smart enough to know it will happen and to do what they have to do. They are not children that cant help themselves. Tell your friends to worry about themselves. Vets dont need their help.

Yes fireworks especially the big stuff when I'm not expecting it will trigger a reaction from me. You will see me reaching for my gun or I will just sit there for a second or two while my adrenaline clears. I am not afraid but it triggers a fight response in me.

Last night they had a fireworks show on the Tennessee river here in Lake Guntersville at around 10 pm that woke me up and I didn't get a lick of sleep last night after that. I grabbed my AR next to my bed then I remembered I am in Alabama I don't need this AR.

Yes fireworks especially the big stuff when I'm not expecting it will trigger a reaction from me. You will see me reaching for my gun or I will just sit there for a second or two while my adrenaline clears. I am not afraid but it triggers a fight response in me.

Last night they had a fireworks show on the Tennessee river here in Lake Guntersville at around 10 pm that woke me up and I didn't get a lick of sleep last night after that. I grabbed my AR next to my bed then I remembered I am in Alabama I don't need this AR.

Do you think they should be outlawed?

im not an expert. I think its more than just loud noises and explosions to spawn a ptsd anxiety attack or something and probably varies from person to person

I will also say this on the subject. I'm a bit of an asshole maybe but I think a lot of the ptsd claims are ****ing bull**** and used as a way to get disability

Like you said you are not an expert, I had a platoon SGT when I was younger that had served in Viet Nam, During The firing of Cannons during ceremonies he would freak out. I personally freak out at the sound of an AK being charged when Im not expecting it, I hate large crowds and weird objects on the highway. Not sure if you are prior service or have deployed or not but people handle trauma differently so for you saying that the claims are BS just to get Disability, yes you are.

Back
Top Bottom