• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vikings of Lanier

C Rex

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
17   0
Reaction score
Finished up another Seax. I call this one the "Lanier" due to the handle being bog oak from the bottom of Lake Lanier - fence post from the old farmstead flooded out at the junction of Chesstatee & Chattahoochee. It's three inches longer than the original artifact Nordic blade. Blade is OSB, fittings are from a bronze boat prop, and sheath outer skin is from a leather couch cushion. Waste not want not. Enjoy

(now I just to need to find one of them "lizard boats" to find a new owner)

Attachments

• Nordic Knife.jpg
    Nordic Knife.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Seax2.jpg
    Seax2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Seax2b.jpg
    Seax2b.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Seax2c.jpg
    Seax2c.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 68
It's beautiful. I really like that you know exactly where each part came from. It's more unique & special than just buying a block of fancy wood from the store.

Although I'm kind of a sucker for pretty handle material, I try to stay away from "store" product. But I have been known to by a $10 shovel at the big box stores just for the handle if it's exceptional. I have found some marvelous handle material in old stumps (serious lot of work), firewood stacks (wife gets a little po'd when I take some out of the winter's supply), old pallets, etc. Always on the look out.
Same with guard materials.
Quality hi-carb steels sit in rusty scrap piles, old farms, machine shops and junk yards. Just got to know how to spot it and how to test it for suitability. Takes a few years of trial and error (mostly error), but can be learned.
Best part is it is fun and challenging at the same time. Keeps me young.

Back
Top Bottom