• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Virgin Islands grabbing guns & ammo prior to hurricane Irma

RedneckAndy

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
18   0
Reaction score
http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/05/v...d-to-seize-guns-ammo-ahead-of-hurricane-irma/

I was sure it was to keep the good folks of the VI who legally own guns from going on a rampage during or after Irma shows up, but apparently it is to keep their national guard supplied! Gosh, hope the leftists in D.C. don't hear about this or they would try it during incidents like hurricane Harvey or Irma. Doubt it would work well in Texas or Florida.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/05/v...d-to-seize-guns-ammo-ahead-of-hurricane-irma/

I was sure it was to keep the good folks of the VI who legally own guns from going on a rampage during or after Irma shows up, but apparently it is to keep their national guard supplied! Gosh, hope the leftists in D.C. don't hear about this or they would try it during incidents like hurricane Harvey or Irma. Doubt it would work well in Texas or Florida.

Yeah....not exactly that......

So is the national guard planning on fighting Irma with privately owned citizens property? That, and seizing explosives too? (when Irma is gone, im moving to the Virgin Islands, sounds like they have all the cool toys to keep the winds of change at bay)

If someone comes to my house to take any of my supplies after a disaster (water, food, guns, ammo....anything), I believe that is called LOOTING -- regardless of whether they do it under power of state law.

If someone comes to my house to take any of my supplies after a disaster (water, food, guns, ammo....anything), I believe that is called LOOTING -- regardless of whether they do it under power of state law.
That's not what the statement allows....you guys should actually read it before running around in circles screaming the sky is falling.

That's not what the statement allows....you guys should actually read it before running around in circles screaming the sky is falling.

What about the following statement leads you to believe that the state has NOT issued an order allowing state officials to come take your stuff that you may need in the aftermath of a disaster?

"The order allows the Adjutant General of the Virgin Islands to seize private property they believe necessary to protect the islands"

What about the following statement leads you to believe that the state has NOT issued an order allowing state officials to come take your stuff that you may need in the aftermath of a disaster?

"The order allows the Adjutant General of the Virgin Islands to seize private property they believe necessary to protect the islands"

U.S. Virgin Islands Gov. Kenneth Mapp signed an emergency order allowing the seizure of private guns, ammunition, explosives and property the National Guard may need to respond to Hurricane Irma.

The governor's order states ....
In accordance with Title 23 Section 1522, Virgin Islands Code, The Adjutant General is authorized and directed to seize arms, ammunition, explosives, incendiary material and any other property that may be require by the military forces for the performance of this emergency mission,...
The relevant Section of Virgin Island Code states ....
1522. Authority of Governor for the attachment of articles and to order the closing of establishments

Whenever the Governor orders part or all of the military forces of the Virgin Islands into Territorial Active Military Service under section 1519 he may, by written order--

(1) Direct the Adjutant General or other appropriate authority to seize arms, ammunition, explosives, incendiary material, and any other property that may be required by the military forces.

(2) Prohibit the sale, exchange, loan or donation, during the emergency of arms, ammunition, explosives, gasoline, incendiary material or alcoholic beverages, and the closing of any establishment in which any such property is found.

(3) Declare a curfew, during such periods and with respect to such areas and persons as in his discretion the public safety requires.

(4) Any other powers authorized by law.

Upon termination of the emergency, compensation shall be paid by the Government of the Virgin Islands for the loss, damage, or destruction of any private property taken for Government purposes during the emergency.

This is not an illegal, preemptive confiscation as happened during Katrina. The governor's actions are specifically authorized by Virgin Islands law. Further, he does not authorize the seizure of "all" firearms and ammunition, nor specify the seizures are from "citizens".

If looters are on the street with privately owned guns causing havoc, wouldn't you want the National Guard to seize them?

Further, there are Title issues with respect to US Code specifically around using military elements to do police work (i.e. Posse Comitatus Act). This order gives specific Title permissions for the Guard to do police work as needed in their duties of protecting the island and populace.

Not everything has to be a conspiracy if you apply some common sense and knowledge of US Code.

Give the COMPLETE statement.....

I read the complete statement. It is pretty clear. It allows the seizure of private property including guns, ammo, and "anything" else needed for the national guard to do its job. If that is okay with you because some state law "allows" it, then you and I are just two very different people.

Back
Top Bottom