• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Visit from the ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what I can update you with:

It appears that the matter is over. Their visit appears to have been a fishing expedition/inquiry. They appear to be satisfied there is no nefarious dealing, and were polite in their last communication. No questions were asked or answered in the last communication.

I am also clear to tell you that the inquiry originated in an audit of 4473's and that the ODT was specifically mentioned.

Keep it legal guys. Buying, selling, and trading is all perfectly legal as long as you are not doing it as a business. There is no limit on the number of purchases and sales you can make - intent to be in the business of selling guns is a crime, however. And rest assured, a large number of transactions will raise a question in the mind of those who investigate these matters, should it come to their attention. That DOES NOT mean you have done anything illegal. I would guess that most of us have bought and sold more guns than the majority of people will touch in their lifetimes! That is not a crime. Buying them with the intent of selling them for livelihood and profit without a license to do so is a crime.

If you receive a visit from the ATF, my advice is to be polite, and to think before you speak and be crystal clear in what you say, if anything. Again, only you can decide if you want to speak with them or not. The agent in this instance conveyed to my client that the information he did provide, which was minimal, helped him decide that this was not a matter that needed to be pursued. Take that for what it is worth, but I am sure that his demeanor and attitude played an even bigger role than the actual words. I won't advise anyone to talk to anyone working on any type of criminal investigation, but the preceding information needed to be passed along as well, IMHO.

And MtDawg is correct that our knowledge of this matter is independent. I have not had the pleasure of meeting him yet, but hope to in the near future.

The problem with that thinking is that there are too many laws for you to comply with. It is honestly impossible to go about a normal life and not break a few laws. Also, if you travel at all and own multiple firearms, I would wager that you have already broken a few firearms related laws.

This. Every pious man is a sinner and every citizen a criminal.

It appears that the matter is over. Their visit appears to have been a fishing expedition/inquiry. They appear to be satisfied there is no nefarious dealing, and were polite in their last communication. No questions were asked or answered in the last communication.

I am also clear to tell you that the inquiry originated in an audit of 4473's and that the ODT was specifically mentioned.

Keep it legal guys. Buying, selling, and trading is all perfectly legal as long as you are not doing it as a business. There is no limit on the number of purchases and sales you can make - intent to be in the business of selling guns is a crime, however. And rest assured, a large number of transactions will raise a question in the mind of those who investigate these matters, should it come to their attention. That DOES NOT mean you have done anything illegal. I would guess that most of us have bought and sold more guns than the majority of people will touch in their lifetimes! That is not a crime. Buying them with the intent of selling them for livelihood and profit without a license to do so is a crime.

If you receive a visit from the ATF, my advice is to be polite, and to think before you speak and be crystal clear in what you say, if anything. Again, only you can decide if you want to speak with them or not. The agent in this instance conveyed to my client that the information he did provide, which was minimal, helped him decide that this was not a matter that needed to be pursued. Take that for what it is worth, but I am sure that his demeanor and attitude played an even bigger role than the actual words. I won't advise anyone to talk to anyone working on any type of criminal investigation, but the preceding information needed to be passed along as well, IMHO.

And MtDawg is correct that our knowledge of this matter is independent. I have not had the pleasure of meeting him yet, but hope to in the near future.

Boom

Thanks for the update Cobalt!

Good to hear, thanks man.

Thank you for the update and I hope that we can meet eventually as well!

The agent in this instance conveyed to my client that the information he did provide, which was minimal, helped him decide that this was not a matter that needed to be pursued. Take that for what it is worth, but I am sure that his demeanor and attitude played an even bigger role than the actual words.

I know that I'll catch almighty hell for this but...the guy had nothing to hide, he complied with their requests, and it went smoothly.

Seems to me that "Hey Mr. Revenue Collector ATF man, go piss on a rock. Come back with a warrant!" might not have produced the same outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom