• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Visit to Skyjacker Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is billet bad? I'm sorry to derail this thread with a serious question.
Billet is pretty. But it's also weaker, ounce for ounce than a forged 7075T6 receiver. In order to maintain equivalent strength, billet has to be heavier. Additionally, most billet AR manufacturers are using 6061 aluminum, which is cheaper and about 40% weaker than 7075.

The bottom line is that billet manufacturers either want to sell a product that is visually different and eye catching OR they are too small to buy forged receivers in sufficient quantity to be a viable business.

But this whole thing wasn't just about billet. It was mostly about the manufacturer not knowing the difference between forged and billet, at one point even confusing it with castings.

Why is billet bad? I'm sorry to derail this thread with a serious question.
It's not that it's "bad" per se, it's just maybe an inferior product to forged lowers. All lowers are milled, it's just that billet lowers come from a chunk of raw aluminium whereas forged lowers are, well, forged aluminium...arguable stronger and definitely lighter. Billet lowers crop up everywhere because all you need is a bunch of pieces of aluminium and a six-axis milling machine and you're in business. Literally can make them in your garage.

It's not that it's "bad" per se, it's just maybe an inferior product to forged lowers. All lowers are milled, it's just that billet lowers come from a chunk of raw aluminium whereas forged lowers are, well, forged aluminium...arguable stronger and definitely lighter. Billet lowers crop up everywhere because all you need is a bunch of pieces of aluminium and a six-axis milling machine and you're in business. Literally can make them in your garage.
Heck, you don't even need a CNC. You just have to have the phone number of someone with one.

But this whole thing wasn't just about billet. It was mostly about the manufacturer not knowing the difference between forged and billet, at one point even confusing it with castings.
And clearly, in the intervening - what? - three years, he doesn't seem to have bothered to figure it out. In the video I posted he is still using incorrect nomenclature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom