• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Visit to Skyjacker Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that it's "bad" per se, it's just maybe an inferior product to forged lowers. All lowers are milled, it's just that billet lowers come from a chunk of raw aluminium whereas forged lowers are, well, forged aluminium...arguable stronger and definitely lighter. Billet lowers crop up everywhere because all you need is a bunch of pieces of aluminium and a six-axis milling machine and you're in business. Literally can make them in your garage.

Another derail perhaps, but Noveske looks to have switched to Billet with their Gen 3 lowers while Gen 1/2 were forged. Do you consider this a step back, cost-cutting, etc?

Another derail perhaps, but Noveske looks to have switched to Billet with their Gen 3 lowers while Gen 1/2 were forged. Do you consider this a step back, cost-cutting, etc?
Ever since John died a few years ago, that company has been adrift. I consider it as pandering to it's perceived audience. The AR market is saturated right now and obsessed with how the rifles look, not necessarily how they perform. It's more important how operator they look on Instagram than how they function in real life. For me and my money, unless it's a second cool thing, billet is always the wrong answer. Heavier, weaker, bigger.

Ever since John died a few years ago, that company has been adrift. I consider it as pandering to it's perceived audience. The AR market is saturated right now and obsessed with how the rifles look, not necessarily how they perform. It's more important how operator they look on Instagram than how they function in real life. For me and my money, unless it's a second cool thing, billet is always the wrong answer. Heavier, weaker, bigger.

Ok, good to know. I really like the integrated trigger guard, and apparently they pulled that off in the Gen 2 even being forged. The Gen 3 looks identical, but is billet. I agree that without the man himself they don't necessarily know what to do. All my stuff from them was purchased before he passed.

Gen 1 was forged milspec style
Gen 2 was also forged, but a completely new forging shape & dimensions. It was called the FFL, which stood for Forged Flared Lower.
Gen 3 is billet, but it is 7075 T6 and its pretty beefy in dimensions. So I would not expect it to weaker per se. But there would be a weight penalty.

SMOS was at one time producing the receivers and rails for Gen 3 Noveskes. And the SMOS GFY receivers and rails are a direct replica of the Noveskes. I believe that Mega is currently producing Noveske receivers and rails. GFY stands for Go F Yourself, so I'm guessing they had a bit of a falling out.

Let's face it, these days no one is going to pay Noveske prices for a gun built on forged milspec style receivers. Being different is a necessity in the $2K+ price range. It doesn't do anything better or even differently, but it is distinctively Noveske. And folks buying Noveske today, want everyone to know at a glance what they are using.

There was a time, ten years ago, That Noveske was truly offering a superior product than the majority of the market. But that time has passed.

eh I still like their lower for what it is. I picked it up cheap (I think 75?) and it looks decent and I wanted something with made in Georgia on the side so it fit the bill, built it with a psa premium kit so it was just really there for the looks anyways

Also, fair play to you, @NWSharpshooter ... the "Christian based company" thing drives me up a wall! :frusty:
What do you have against Christians?

In all seriousness though when folks start talking about their virtues as a Christian in business dealings I usually know with good certainty that they are not going to behave in accordance to those virtues.

What do you have against Christians?

In all seriousness though when folks start talking about their virtues as a Christian in business dealings I usually know with good certainty that they are not going to behave in accordance to those virtues.

I agree 110%! 30 years in the cabinet business. Every customer that wears there beliefs on there sleeve, we got screwed every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom