• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vortex PST VS. Nightforce

ncrinc12

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
32   0
Reaction score
Alright fellow members, I am looking to add a scope on my SCAR 17. Have not had experience with Nightforce and wandering if the price difference is worth it or get the PST and have money for additional ammo.

Vortex is nice however you cannot torque the rings and bases as tight as the Nightforce.

Ring torque force max
Vortex torque max 17 inch lbs
Nightforce torque max 25inch pounds

Side Rail torque max
Vortex torque max 35 inch pounds
Nightforce torque max 50+ inch pounds

Vortex is a thin wall aluminum aircraft type material, used to lighten up the scope for less weight and less tolerance of tighter pressures on the tube before denting or distortion of the tube...

Nightforce is a thick wall protects the scope and tube much, much better...

You can see the lens differences also...

There are negatives, positives for everything... You just have to study the details not just the price...

good luck with your scope finding quest...

Thanks for the reply, read on a couple of forums that the SCAR is rough on optics for some reason. I had a Leupold VX6 Firedot 1 x 6 on it and realized it was not enough magnification for this rifle. The Leupold now sits on my SBR 300 and seems to be a great fit

The VVPST are great scopes for the money, but they ain't in the same league as a Nighforce.

While I haven't seen it personally I've heard of the SCAR-17 wrecking VVPST scopes. Never heard of that with a NF.

I've gone cheap on optics and later regretted it. I've never regretted buying expensive optics.

The VVPST are great scopes for the money, but they ain't in the same league as a Nighforce.

While I haven't seen it personally I've heard of the SCAR-17 wrecking VVPST scopes. Never heard of that with a NF.

I've gone cheap on optics and later regretted it. I've never regretted buying expensive optics.
The Leupold I had on it stood up, but that was minimal rounds. I have blown the reticles out of a couple of cheaper scopes, but I would not put them in the same class as the PST. Is the Nightforce housing and glass that much better for the extra$$$

The Leupold I had on it stood up, but that was minimal rounds. I have blown the reticles out of a couple of cheaper scopes, but I would not put them in the same class as the PST. Is the Nightforce housing and glass that much better for the extra$$$

Very much so! Can't begin to compare the two. The NF has better glass, better coatings, thicker walls, better quality internal components, etc. It's just better in every way.

Back
Top Bottom