• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vortex PST VS. Nightforce

Its always been my understanding that Nightforce is like the best of the best. Right up there if not better than Leupold and Swarvoski. Of course all of these are secondary to Hensoldt.

Have you looked at the SWFA Super Sniper?

You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to optics, whether it's a rifle scope or spotting scope.

I was in the market for both, for the last month or so.
I've looked through everything from the low end to the very high end rifle scopes and spotting scopes.
There's a difference even old eyes can see.
I was surprised, I didn't think I'd be able to see much of a difference.

You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to optics, whether it's a rifle scope or spotting scope.

I was in the market for both, for the last month or so.
I've looked through everything from the low end to the very high end rifle scopes and spotting scopes.
There's a difference even old eyes can see.
I was surprised, I didn't think I'd be able to see much of a difference.
I feel you on the old eyes, I hit 46 this year and all of the sudden I fell like Mr. MCGoo. Did you end up going with Nightforce over Vortex?

I feel you on the old eyes, I hit 46 this year and all of the sudden I fell like Mr. MCGoo. Did you end up going with Nightforce over Vortex?

The X bolt is to be used for hunting it's in .270 Win, it's a gun I wouldn't shoot at deer over 300 yards with, so I went with the Vortex. For the 1st time in my life I didn't buy a 3 x 9 and bought the 4 x 16, side focus knob is sweet. It's nice to see everything kind of clearly and I like the increased magnification.

Will tell you straight though, if the gun was in a caliber that I could do some really long range hunting with, I would have bought the Night Force.

I used the rest of the money to buy the Bulls Eye Ammo Cam!
To hell with the spotting scope!
I've been seeing these out at the range and they really are pretty cool.
They set up fast and can watch my 12 target 2'x4' target board completely.
Now I can shoot 5 and 6 hundred meters and immediately see my shot.
No more needing a 2nd guy in the pits or driving back and forth at the high power or silhouette range!
Cause I damned sure couldn't see the holes in the target with a spotting scope.

(I'm just hoping I don't shoot it somewhere along the line......) :becky:

The X bolt is to be used for hunting it's in .270 Win, it's a gun I wouldn't shoot at deer over 300 yards with, so I went with the Vortex. For the 1st time in my life I didn't buy a 3 x 9 and bought the 4 x 16, side focus knob is sweet. It's nice to see everything kind of clearly and I like the increased magnification.

Will tell you straight though, if the gun was in a caliber that I could do some really long range hunting with, I would have bought the Night Force.

I used the rest of the money to buy the Bulls Eye Ammo Cam!
To hell with the spotting scope!
I've been seeing these out at the range and they really are pretty cool.
They set up fast and can watch my 12 target 2'x4' target board completely.
Now I can shoot 5 and 6 hundred meters and immediately see my shot.
No more needing a 2nd guy in the pits or driving back and forth at the high power or silhouette range!
Cause I damned sure couldn't see the holes in the target with a spotting scope.

(I'm just hoping I don't shoot it somewhere along the line......) :becky:
I have finally stepped out of the 3x9 scopes myself, although I have shot 3 animals at well over 300 yards with a 270 topped with a 3x9 Nikon. But, have never shot rifles over 400 yards and was wanting to give it a try at some distances

Leupold Mark 4/6/8 are all junk. I see more problems with Leupolds than with all other scope brands combined.

Swarovski doesn't make a true tactical rifle scope.

Whether or not an optic like the Nightforce BEAST or newer ATACR models are better or worse than a Hensoldt or S&B is subjective. I think that nowadays, S&B is overrated and not putting out the same quality they were 10 years ago. I like the Hensoldt glass, but like other features of the Nightforce BEAST and ATACR LINE better overall, while I like the Hensoldt better than the NF NXS series. Although, that really isn't a fair comparison as Hensoldt is 2x or more in price than the NXS scopes.

Leupold Mark 4/6/8 are all junk. I see more problems with Leupolds than with all other scope brands combined.

Swarovski doesn't make a true tactical rifle scope.

Whether or not an optic like the Nightforce BEAST or newer ATACR models are better or worse than a Hensoldt or S&B is subjective. I think that nowadays, S&B is overrated and not putting out the same quality they were 10 years ago. I like the Hensoldt glass, but like other features of the Nightforce BEAST and ATACR LINE better overall, while I like the Hensoldt better than the NF NXS series. Although, that really isn't a fair comparison as Hensoldt is 2x or more in price than the NXS scopes.

What kind of problems? Was debating on getting a Leupold for my MK12 clone but I'm not tied to any particular optic.

As I read this I began to think ahh hah thats why I dont shoot so well, not good enough glass.

But then being completely honest with myself, thats not the issue!

Good info in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom