• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

W.R. Case & Sons Medium Skinner or Buck 119 Classic???

W.R. Case & Sons Medium Skinner or Buck 119

• W.R. Case & Sons Medium Skinner

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Buck 119

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JayMac

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
5   0
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm trying to decide over two knives with regard to overall outdoors worthiness for hunting, camping, and general outdoors type utility, etc. I've narrowed down my options between the W.R. Case & Sons Medium Skinner and the Buck 119. I've read some great stuff on both of these knives (steel make-up, production process, made in USA pedigrees, etc.). What I'd like to hear from some of you folks here on the Trader is what, if any, experience you've had with either or both of these knives...and what your opinions are on them. I know some spirited debate may ensue on this next one, but I also ask...which one do you think is better? Please know that your many opinions and advice will drive my decision on which one to buy. Don't forget to vote on the poll I created for your choice to be counted in the poll!!!

Check out the CutCo drop point.
Well, I found two different types. The CutCo Drop Point in this first photo shows two with different color handles.
Cutco Drop Point 1.jpg

As I understand it, that is the past model. Now, apparently, they appear to be making this one shown in photo two.

Cutco Drop Point 2.jpg

I wonder if the second photo knife...apparently the new version is still full tang? Can't seem to find that solid info... I personally tend toward the two in the first photo where it appears the knives are made full tang with the visible locking screws in the handle. They are nice, but at a little over $100, they are out of my price range right now. This is great info though, and maybe if I can find one of them like in the first photo...I might shell out extra for that. :) Thanks for the reference.

Buck. But a CASE trapper will do everything you need.I have an OldTimer Trapper I have had for 45 years
Thanks! I hadn't even considered a folding knife as a practical all-around knife, but these do seem handy. They also seem to come in some interesting handle materials and design options as well...and they are in my price range...

Case Trapper Knives.jpg

Thanks for the info!

Well, I found two different types. The CutCo Drop Point in this first photo shows two with different color handles.View attachment 2024998

As I understand it, that is the past model. Now, apparently, they appear to be making this one shown in photo two.

View attachment 2024999

I wonder if the second photo knife...apparently the new version is still full tang? Can't seem to find that solid info... I personally tend toward the two in the first photo where it appears the knives are made full tang with the visible locking screws in the handle. They are nice, but at a little over $100, they are out of my price range right now. This is great info though, and maybe if I can find one of them like in the first photo...I might shell out extra for that. :) Thanks for the reference.

I’ve got the bottom one shown.
It’s the hunter version and has a full tang.
Mine has a bright orange handle though because it’s easy to leave a knife in the woods.
Only bad thing is you have to send it to them for sharpening the serrated blade but it’s free for life.
I scored mine for $80 and scored their Ka-bar for about the same price used from a ODT member but it was never used.
The grip on that knife is the best ergonomic feel I’ve ever had from a hunting knife even when my hands are inside the deer and covered with blood and guts.
It’s a friggin pittbull of a knife and is super solid but be careful that thing is shaaaarp!
Just the weight of the knife will cut open the deer....it’s like conducting a symphony when field dressing deer.
It will rip up the side of the sternum with ease.

I’ve got the bottom one shown.
It’s the hunter version and has a full tang.
Mine has a bright orange handle though because it’s easy to leave a knife in the woods.
Only bad thing is you have to send it to them for sharpening the serrated blade but it’s free for life.
I scored mine for $80 and scored their Ka-bar for about the same price used from a ODT member but it was never used.
The grip on that knife is the best ergonomic feel I’ve ever had from a hunting knife even when my hands are inside the deer and covered with blood and guts.
It’s a friggin pittbull of a knife and is super solid but be careful that thing is shaaaarp!
Just the weight of the knife will cut open the deer....it’s like conducting a symphony when field dressing deer.
It will rip up the side of the sternum with ease.

$80 is awesome! It sounds like it performs like a superstar too! I guess if people are willing to pay $150+ for them new then that's why they can - and do - sell them for that much... :pop2:

$80 is awesome! It sounds like it performs like a superstar too! I guess if people are willing to pay $150+ for them new then that's why they can - and do - sell them for that much... :pop2:

Yeah I was a skeptic until I laid a deer open with it and was very impressed.
I still haven’t sharpened it yet because it doesent need it.
I bought the hunter from my neighbors Daughter who was selling them while in high school.
I’ve always wanted the Ka-bar but scoffed at the price until someone here listed o e dirt cheap so I jumped on it.
The Ka-bar is sharp but in no way compares to the double D serrated blade on the hunter knife although the Ka-bar does have a small serrated patch on the blade.
If I buy another one I’m going to get the hunter version with the gut hook.

Howdy all. Well, it looks like the Buck 119 won out on the poll. It also appears that I got more options than I thought were actually out there from the thread as well. Thanks to everyone who participated. I'm going knife shopping this week. I'll post photos of the one I get along with price and place of purchase for those interested in the deal. Thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom