• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wait, Now People are Wanting Copies of Driver’s Licenses or Carry License IN ADVANCE??

Ok guys I have a question... I normally ask for a bill of sale unless I have dealt with that person before.... my neighbor is a cop and he sold me guns couple times.... and I sign a bill of sale to him and it just said that I'm not forbidden by law to buy and own guns, is that ok? Im juat trying to cover my butt because what happen if after I sell this gun that person I sold the gun to, go and commit a felony, or kill someone, does that make me liable? Even after I sold the gun in a private sale? I'm just asking advice and clarification because some people feel incomfortable and I understand with the bill of sale

Ok guys I have a question... I normally ask for a bill of sale unless I have dealt with that person before.... my neighbor is a cop and he sold me guns couple times.... and I sign a bill of sale to him and it just said that I'm not forbidden by law to buy and own guns, is that ok? Im juat trying to cover my butt because what happen if after I sell this gun that person I sold the gun to, go and commit a felony, or kill someone, does that make me liable? Even after I sold the gun in a private sale? I'm just asking advice and clarification because some people feel incomfortable and I understand with the bill of sale
You're protected as long as you have a bill of sale. That's long established fact here.

You probably insist in protect your privacy and that's fine, I'm trying to cover my butt but also I'm trying to understand why is wrong to protect yourself in case of something happen, besides, that's the reason I'm asking for your advice here guys, if I ask for advice is wrong, and if I ask for a bill of sale I'm paranoid.

You probably insist in protect your privacy and that's fine, I'm trying to cover my butt but also I'm trying to understand why is wrong to protect yourself in case of something happen, besides, that's the reason I'm asking for your advice here guys, if I ask for advice is wrong, and if I ask for a bill of sale I'm paranoid.

A little early morning humor. You do what makes you feels protected and safe.

Yes, yes

Welcome to ODT where a chance to bust balls never goes my missed

what happens when they want copies of our vaxx cards,
bump1.gif

no, a BOS does about jack squat legally. It's not notarized, it's not a requirement, it's just something people do to make themselves feel better about it. you just can't KNOW the person is prohibited from buying. Do you get a BOS when you sell a toaster at a yard sale? Are you liable if someone burns their house down? Does publix make you do a BOS for a pub sub? What if you choke on it?

Guns in Georgia are not required to transfer through an FFl, same as a toaster or pub sub. a BOS does really nothing to prevent someone from asking you about a gun if you did a transfer on it, but both "come back with a warrant" or "I sold it at a yard sale" are fine answers and stop the questioning.

I don't do a BOS because I don't need anyone knowing my home address or the fact that I'm a gun owner unless I want them to. what happens if you have a pile of BOS and your house gets robbed. They find my address and come after me cause I'm a gun owner or clearly had 2k cash or whatever. I don't trust people to keep my data secure. You don't need to know my business and and I don't need to know yours.

Plus a whole lot of BOS makes it look like you are "actively engaged in selling firearms" which is not legal without an FFL..... Selling and trading personal items is, but be careful about looking like a business.

I wanna hang out and shoot and trade ****. requiring BOS and other tomfoolery is one of the many reasons why gun owners are our own enemies.

Although a BOS doesn’t prove anything, it can be helpful if ATF comes knocking on your door. It won’t relieve you of any liability, but it might cut down on their harassment.

Back
Top Bottom