• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Walk away from meet with no deal...

I've had it happen twice. One I was unhappy with the condition of the rifle but guy was local and apologized he didn't notice something I did, and asked if I would buy at a lower price ( I passed). The other was on a DPMS 308 several years ago I took in trade, I didn't notice that the muzzle break was pinned and welded on and the guy buying it did and was pretty pissed. I lost money but did the deal at a discount for him.

(No shows or stopping communication is the biggest issue for me, I can see changing your mind and notifying the people within 24 hours. But 30 mins before a meeting CMON!).

It still baffles me....some folks interpretation of the condition of a weapon ((I'm speaking mainly cosmetic, not function)
I will most certainly speak my mind at a meet if condition has been mis-represented, including walking away.
I'd like to say it just boils down to integrity (or lack thereof) but I honestly believe some people think rust is OK and/or normal on a weapon!

Seems when I get a weapon off Gunbroker it hasn't been cleaned in quite a while.

Most times a sewer pipe bore scrubs up quite nicely with a little effort.

I never seem to buy clean weapons but ones I sell are damn clean!

I always tell the buyer or seller, this sale is tentative pending inspection of the item. The agreed upon price is set, but we both have the option to walk away as friends. You can save yourself a lot of time and trouble, by posting good quality pictures if you are the seller, and ask for good quality pictures if you are the buyer.

It still baffles me....some folks interpretation of the condition of a weapon ((I'm speaking mainly cosmetic, not function)
I will most certainly speak my mind at a meet if condition has been mis-represented, including walking away.
I'd like to say it just boils down to integrity (or lack thereof) but I honestly believe some people think rust is OK and/or normal on a weapon!
Yep. My idea of "excellent" is clearly different than most but I know that and set my expectations accordingly. I walked once. Undid a deal once. And immediately sold one I purchased once. All because the condition wasn't what I expected. Hopefully no ill will. Gave all 3 positive feedback on the way it was handled which I believe was returned. Never had a no show.

Seems when I get a weapon off Gunbroker it hasn't been cleaned in quite a while.

Most times a sewer pipe bore scrubs up quite nicely with a little effort.

I never seem to buy clean weapons but ones I sell are damn clean!

I really do not understand folks selling filthy guns.

My neighbor bought a dirty rifle that was so gummed up with wd40 that it would not operate. He paid 275 for it. It cleaned up, and he refinished the stock. Guns just like it now sell for 800-1000 on GB.

Yep! And some people just don't take care of their stuff no matter if it's a new car, or a mosin.

I always tell the buyer or seller, this sale is tentative pending inspection of the item. The agreed upon price is set, but we both have the option to walk away as friends. You can save yourself a lot of time and trouble, by posting good quality pictures if you are the seller, and ask for good quality pictures if you are the buyer.
Amen.

I had one. It was with a shotgun I was selling. It had some paint on the barrel from where it slide down the lip of my window in my living room. I never paid any attention to it. But the dude I met was pissed off I didnt disclose the "damage" I took the palm of my hand and rubber it on the barrel and the paint started to come off. Its latex based paint if I would have noticed it on the shotgun before I left I would have rubbed it off before I got there. Anyway dude flipped out he was acting pretty weird anyway. He demanded i sell it to him for less I took it back put in my truck and told we dont have a deal then. After all this was an 870 China knockoff i was selling for 125 bucks i really felt it didnt matter if the stock was broke for that price, let alone a little paint on the barrel.
Just bought one of them. How did yours hold up?

Back
Top Bottom