• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Walk away from meet with no deal...

Yep. Drove over and hour and a half to meet up with a guy that had a Galil Sporter for sale. Was told the gun was in good shape, ran good, a gunsmith had gone over it etc. When I inspected it the inside of the receiver it was so bubda'd up there was no way I was going to buy it. He even lowered the price and I still walked away.

I have to tell this story again just because it's so darn funny. Had a meet in RIVERDALE at a WAFFLEHOUSE at 7PM. The guy was late on top of late on top of late. It might have been 9:15 when he got there. In the mean time though, I watched one single man outside the waffle house make about 10 drug deals, and young bulldike type literally fought a guy in the parking lot. Then this tweeky biker came by and offered to sell me some power tools (at a bargain of course). I would have left the scene but I was honestly having too much fun. So the guy finally gets there and I'm inspecting his gun...the guy DROPS it. Like clickety clank on concrete. He drops the price I buy the gun and life goes on.

Yep. Drove over and hour and a half to meet up with a guy that had a Galil Sporter for sale. Was told the gun was in good shape, ran good, a gunsmith had gone over it etc. When I inspected it the inside of the receiver it was so bubda'd up there was no way I was going to buy it. He even lowered the price and I still walked away.

You get a tank of fuel out of him?

I always tell the buyer or seller, this sale is tentative pending inspection of the item. The agreed upon price is set, but we both have the option to walk away as friends. You can save yourself a lot of time and trouble, by posting good quality pictures if you are the seller, and ask for good quality pictures if you are the buyer.

Absolutely this ^^^^^^. The further I am going to drive or the more expensive an item the more pics I will ask for and the more questions I will ask just to be sure before I get there. I will take an honest difference of opinion and someone refusing to buy over a no show any day. I have only had one tire kicker who had committed to a deal and then hemmed and hawed when we met but did buy the item. I have had one person specifically ask to come look at an item with no strings attached and I told him as long as he came to me that was fine. He did and turned down the deal which was totally fine because it was just a few minutes of my time.

I have to tell this story again just because it's so darn funny. Had a meet in RIVERDALE at a WAFFLEHOUSE at 7PM. The guy was late on top of late on top of late. It might have been 9:15 when he got there. In the mean time though, I watched one single man outside the waffle house make about 10 drug deals, and young bulldike type literally fought a guy in the parking lot. Then this tweeky biker came by and offered to sell me some power tools (at a bargain of course). I would have left the scene but I was honestly having too much fun. So the guy finally gets there and I'm inspecting his gun...the guy DROPS it. Like clickety clank on concrete. He drops the price I buy the gun and life goes on.
I knew this thread was gonna produce a good story or two.

I really don't care, if the buyer I'm dealing with does NOT WANT the item. It's his money and choice if he wants it. If he is at our meeting spot and feels he wants to back out, no problem! It's one of the reasons ODT works so well. Your MONEY your choice!!

My understanding of the feedback system is that a member can show up for the meet...and then decide not to buy, sell or trade for any reason they choose...with no negative consequences. Perhaps I'm wrong.

It all depends upon who is leaving the Neg.

It still baffles me....some folks interpretation of the condition of a weapon ((I'm speaking mainly cosmetic, not function)
I will most certainly speak my mind at a meet if condition has been mis-represented, including walking away.
I'd like to say it just boils down to integrity (or lack thereof) but I honestly believe some people think rust is OK and/or normal on a weapon!

Depends upon it's age?:doh:
"It's excellent condition for it's age.":shocked:
So how much rust is acceptable for an "excellent condition" firearm that's 100 years old?:fish2:

If only 5% of the gun has rust on it, then it's in 95% condition.:thumb::tape2::drum:

Just curious. How many of you have gone to a meet and no deal happened because the item's condition was not as good as expected? Or deal happened at a lower price?
Only once. A fairly new guy showed with a different rifle than advertised. He hasn’t been on here for years.

Back
Top Bottom