• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Walmart - Remington 770 - Synthetic stock with Bushnell scope - $297.00 = Junk?

I own a 770 .270 with camo stock and ss barrel, I love it an right out of the box accurate. I didn't get mine from wally I got it a a gunshop an gave around 400 for it but the ss barrel makes it a lil more. I did take the scope off an but a nikon buck master 3x9x40 camo scope back on it. Nothing wrong with the bushnell just I wanted a camo scope.

really , i must have got a shi++y 700 , i had it before the 770 and once i got it the 700 was put in the safe . . i dont even think it's been took out since then

Well, the 700 I had was a Wal-Mart special in .30-06 that would should inch sized groups at one hundred yards. It had a Bushnell Trophy 3x9 scope on it.

I'm sure that some 770s are great....but I've read and heard enough not so great reviews on them for me to steer clear of one.

Some must work ok, but the 710,715, and 770 series from Big Green aren't near what they should be to bear the Remington nameplate. Many I've seen will fire, but won't do much after that. They have a tendency to lock up. Many companies offering lower cost rifles are having issue with them. I know of many shops in my area that won't take them on trade because of these issues. The Smith & Wesson I Bolt is another rifle that should have never been brought to market, even though I know some folks love theirs. It destroys a companies image when they continue to market products of questionable performance. You may get a bad 700, but it's likely fixable. If you get a bad 770, well you've likely just got a bad 770. First hand experiences, not hearsay. I've seen it with mine and while trying to help friends and coworkers with theirs.

Last edited:
I have no experience with the 770 but have heard that it was to replace the poorly designed 710 that was plagued with a poor service record and recalls.When it comes to economy rifles it's hard to beat the Savage 110/Stevens 200 series. These are unquestionably accurate and dependable. About the only bad thing that anyone can say about em is that they have "that bugly barrel nut". I happen to love em and have never found one I couldn't get to shoot sub MOA at 100. To me being able to accurately place a shot is the most important factor to consider in a rifle. Nearly all package guns have crap for scopes,rings and bases so I wouldnt let the fact that it comes with an optic sway me. IMHO for the money their are much better choices than the big green economy offerings.
Good luck BHJ

bought the 770 in a 270 bout 3 years ago , when i go hunting it's usually the first one i pick up i think i gave just a little over $300 with tax , the rebate was for ammo back then $10 of every box up to $50. for remington ammo , i didn't like the remington 700 but the 770 is far better pretty accurate

hold both and come back and tell me which one has a sloppy bolt on it 700 will feel all loose when you move the bolt like it could fall out by itself , the 770 don't ,smooth ,clean sliding action i have both the 770 was better IMO maybe an older model, i mean real older model but do not buy one of those gray colored guns they where mass produced for sales

LMAO! A 770 owner bashing the 700. I bet you think your Kia is hot **** and a Porsche is a POS too huh?

I have no experience with the 770 but have heard that it was to replace the poorly designed 710 that was plagued with a poor service record and recalls.When it comes to economy rifles it's hard to beat the Savage 110/Stevens 200 series. These are unquestionably accurate and dependable. About the only bad thing that anyone can say about em is that they have "that bugly barrel nut". I happen to love em and have never found one I couldn't get to shoot sub MOA at 100. To me being able to accurately place a shot is the most important factor to consider in a rifle. Nearly all package guns have crap for scopes,rings and bases so I wouldnt let the fact that it comes with an optic sway me. IMHO for the money their are much better choices than the big green economy offerings.
Good luck BHJ

^^^This!!!

Marlin XL7 .270. Buy it now... do it... im not gonna say it again.... DO IT!
If you want a budget Remington buy a 788 (if you can find one cheap). It got discontinued because it was cheaper and more accurate than the 700. Dont look for a 710 or 770 (what with rem and 7's?) to take away from the 700 sales.

Back
Top Bottom