• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Walmart - Remington 770 - Synthetic stock with Bushnell scope - $297.00 = Junk?

I guess this is Remingtons "Entry Level" rifle with Bushnell's "Entry Level" scope. You get what you pay for. Walmart just has such a great price on the gun & scope that it sounds too good to be true. $300 for a rifle and scope is amazing and would be a great first gun, or something you would not worry about beating up. For those that demand better performence, there is always the higher grade Rem 700. Weatherby even has a Vangaurd which is their Entry Level gun, but it is $500 for the rifle only.
Thanks for all of the input all.

I bought a Rem 710 on sale at Bass Pro a few years ago, out the door at $300. At the range yesterday I developed a load for it and got sub .5 MOA accuracy. (.482 center to center on 3 shots at 100 yards) . Mine is a 7MM Rem mag and she is a keeper!

Thats like saying the ruger 10/22s are junk just because they are sold at walmart. The production line at remington is not going to slow or lax just because items are sold at walmart. Look those firearms up, I did. Lots of people enjoy them. If it makes you feel better go to an overpriced gun store and buy the same gun for more money. Then buy the walmart one. Im willing to bet they will be the same.

that was the long answer... here is the short one ;)

No they are not junk because they are sold at walmart!

I agree 100%........great post

IMO I like Savage better than the 770 but my buddy hunts with a 300 win mag 770 and he loves it. I guess its all in what you like . As far as i know its like the sigma series of Remington, still a good gun but your gonna have alot of people bash it. If you look hard enough someone has a 770 on here for $400.:jaw:

i may look into my wally world for one of those when they start stocking guns again! I need something besides my AK to hunt with. It does not have to be great... my ranges are 20-40 yards.

I like expensive guns as much as he next guy.....but if you want a gun to pick up, be dependable, and kill a deer, the 270 is fine. I had one for many years. Dropped maybe 10-12 with it.

Once you decide the "Jones" aren't on your land and the deer could care less how much or where you purchased, the better you will be.

I sold it here and donated the funds to ODT last year. I bet it's still a great shooter. Get one

I have both the 700 in 30 06 and the 770 in .308. both are great, i actually like the 770 a little more, synthetic stock is easier to lug through the woods (without fear of scratching stock on my 700). I did look at reviews on the 770 before I got it and everyone says it's junk (because it's $300). I personally put both my 700 & the 770 side by side and compared. everyone online says the bolt feels loose, cheap and break prone. Actually the play on both are the exact same. only thing that i'm able to tell the difference on is the safety has a louder click when flipping off on the 770 and the mag. needs a little felt tape to tighten up, rattles when full. my opinion is it is a fine piece and to be honest i don't think Remington would put out a sub par riffle given their reputation

Yes they are great rifles for the money...One of my friends had got one when they first came out and has had it some years now, it does work and shoot well....

The problem comes when things do break, and they will with time, when they do you might as well throw it in the trash and buy another one.

Personally I would either save up some more and get something nicer or use that 300 and buy a nice used rifle, possibly an older savage 110/111, Marlin 336 (if you like lever guns), might be able to find an older remington 700 doubt it though.

So is it junk, no not yet at least; it will be in time though.

I bought a Rem 710 on sale at Bass Pro a few years ago, out the door at $300. At the range yesterday I developed a load for it and got sub .5 MOA accuracy. (.482 center to center on 3 shots at 100 yards) . Mine is a 7MM Rem mag and she is a keeper!

See this is what I'm talking about. They are not junk, by any means. Just when stuff does break it will be harder to fix. For the money they cant be beat, except maybe the Mossberg rifle at walmart those are in the same price range and are nicer to me, more in line with a savage.

Back
Top Bottom