• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Want To Buy: Clean Underwear

I have been reloading about16 years or so and have loaded thousands of rounds, never had a primer pop until about 2 months ago. I typically load on my Dillon 550B and never have had any issues. I picked up a Lee Pro Master a few years back to load 9s and 40s for volume. It does load faster but the priming system is finicky. Not real sure what happens, but sometimes the primers get out of sync for lack of a better term and you end up crushing a primer. Had one pop and it did make me flinch. Now when seating the primers, my butt cheeks tighten up when using that press.

Problem with it is, the primer seating is on the same stroke as the sizing. So you don't know if the primer is why it is harder to pull or if the brass is just harder to size, so you sometimes go ahead with the stroke, that is why it popped. On my Dillon the seating process is all by itself, if it doesn't feel right, you know it is a primer issue.

Things like this is why I ALWAYS wear safety glasses when handling powder, primers and loading cartridges.

Rosewood

I had 2 primers pop on me about a month ago on my Dillon 1100. Come to find out it, I had 2 cases that the primer rings were left in the primer pocket and they set the primer off when seating the new one. No big deal, it wasn’t as loud as I thought it would be.

I had 2 primers pop on me about a month ago on my Dillon 1100. Come to find out it, I had 2 cases that the primer rings were left in the primer pocket and they set the primer off when seating the new one. No big deal, it wasn’t as loud as I thought it would be.
Yep, sounded about like shooting a cap gun. Can you even still buy those? Haven't seen one in years.

I've been reloading since the mid-seventies and have only had two primers ever go off on me, both of them Federal SR and both on the Dillon 550B. It's been about 10 years ago and have never had it happen since but I no longer use Federal primers.

When a whole tube goes off in an automatic machine you will pee a little.
Right. I was at a friends reman facility several weeks ago when one of the other Camdex machines had the entire primer tube and hopper go off. The number of little pieces that flew every direction was crazy. It screwed the 223 machine up that I was running as well and I had to finally clean all sorts of areas on it out of spent primer debris.

Back
Top Bottom