• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Want To Buy: Clean Underwear

I had a bench pop while sitting at my work desk oddly enough, just a couple of weeks ago. I have these 50bmg manual deprime block and punch sets that I make (on the 3D printer) to deprime 50bmg brass. Sometimes while in boring meetings I'll drag a sack of pistol brass up and sit and prime it with a hand primer. Doing this a little while back I accidentally seated a primer in a 9mm case upside down. Now they do occasionally sort of tilt sideways and I pop them out with an awl with no issues but having one go in completely upside down, super super rare. So I was sitting in this meeting looking at it and thinking, well, I pop those out all the time with no issues. 50bmg deprime block, check. Awl, check. Small hammer, check.

Fortunately I was muted at the time but I must have looked like I just crapped out a flaming brick because a couple people on the call asked me if I was OK. In retrospect, hows about I just hammer a hardened steel awl into the center of the business side of a primer......nothing could go wrong with that plan, right????>

Whatcha doin' with all those wadcutters? I gotta assume some sort of competition. Must not be precision or you wouldn't be mixing brass.

Me, I got pretty good at the Atlanta bowling pin shoots with a revolver a few years back. Nothing like that in central TX, very sad to say.
We have a "Thursday Night Pistol League" bullseye match each Spring. 10 matches over 10 weeks. I'm not mixing brass. I was loading foulers using the PPU brass. I keep the Starline for my match loads. Everyone that's offered, thanks, I have loads of brass. I even found a case of 5,000 new Winchester cases I must ordered years ago, unopened, under the bench.

Those were mostly 1800's. Even as far back as 1915 most 45acp had switched to solid head. Gotta remember though, on ODT, there are guys out there that were reloading in the 1800's!
My first loading books mentioned balloon heads, and some I have from the 30's mentions them, but I can't remember any I've bought in the past 20 years even mentioning them.

That style was more popular in black powder cartridges. Pressures bring lower and all that tech worked fine. With higher pressure powders and modern loads they are dangerously weak
For grins I weighed both the rebated and non-rebated A-Merc brass. 4.8 grams non-rebated, 4.5 grams rebated. I'm going to guess, without bisecting one, they are solid heads.

I bought a thousand 45ACP from AMerc many years ago. I planned to reload them after the initial firing. They were horrible; primers blew out and jammed up my 1911. When reloading them, the brass was thick, and the flash holes were off center.

Back
Top Bottom