• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Want to get back into it but have questions about brands

Mrdomindart

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
12   0
Reaction score
When you are stocking self defense ammo, what brands do you chose? Do you go off of experience with a round that doesn't fail, or do you buy the best brand name like fiocche?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I buy what my local PD used to get. Winchester
For SD ammo I trust:

Federal HST/Hydra shock

Speer Gold dots

Hornady TAP

Golden Sabers.

Going to add one more to that list: Winchester Ranger/PDX1

Aside from the Hornady TAP those 4 ammunitions are used widely by various law enforcement entities across the nation and have undergone lots of testing by the FBI. I’m sure TAP is good too but I know the other ones have been vetted to be good

I buy what my local PD used to get. Winchester

Going to add one more to that list: Winchester Ranger/PDX1

Aside from the Hornady TAP those 4 ammunitions are used widely by various law enforcement entities across the nation and have undergone lots of testing by the FBI. I’m sure TAP is good too but I know the other ones have been vetted to be good

TAP ammo was used by my local LEO/ Sherff's until penetration became an issue. TAP ammo is good against a body but will not penetrate trails/Car doors very well unless it is the "barrier" ammo then it does worse on flesh.

PDX ammo is quality and Winchester makes the ammo the LEO switched too after TAP " Failed" to penetrate barriers.

I have personal used 60Grn 5.56 TAP to take down a 350pnd Hog, It ran maybe 5 yards before it drooped with one shot on the neck, just below the head at 50yrds.

TAP ammo was used by my local LEO/ Sherff's until penetration became an issue. TAP ammo is good against a body but will not penetrate trails/Car doors very well unless it is the "barrier" ammo then it does worse on flesh.

PDX ammo is quality and Winchester makes the ammo the LEO switched too after TAP " Failed" to penetrate barriers.

I have personal used 60Grn 5.56 TAP to take down a 350pnd Hog, It ran maybe 5 yards before it drooped with one shot on the neck, just below the head at 50yrds.

Yea I run the PDX-1. I saw that it was "bonded" so I did research into what that meant and basically its made to defeat light barriers like glass, layers of thicker clothing, etc. So I guess thats why they switched to it. Any of those are going to be good for self defense in my opinion.

Overpenetration is only an issue when you don’t NEED to shoot through stuff, then it’s just fine. I prefer ammo that has a good bit of penetration and watch my backstop.

Back
Top Bottom