• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wanted: Dead or Alive Episode Tidbit [Swastika]

mrauditor

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
78   0
Reaction score
This morning in Season 1, Episode 31, "Bounty for a Bride", from 1959, bounty hunter Josh Randall [Steve McQueen] found himself riding into an Apache camp to attempt to return a white woman taken from her father as a young girl. As he first enters the camp in the first five or six minutes of the show, the camera pans the teepees. On the side of one of the teepees near left center is a Swastika. I first thought it was perhaps the image of an eagle, so I went online and found an article talking about errors/mistakes/etc for each episode of the series and someone else had mentioned the same thing I saw. "There's a swastika on the Apache's Tepee when Josh arrives at their camp." If you have a few minutes, please check this out online and see if this other person and I are correct or if we both need to have our eyes checked. Thanks.

It's not a swastika, Indians have used a symbol that resembles a swastika for hundreds of years before the nazis used it. I can't remember exactly what it stands for, could have something to do with the seasons though.

It's not a swastika, Indians have used a symbol that resembles a swastika for hundreds of years before the nazis used it. I can't remember exactly what it stands for, could have something to do with the seasons though.

That would certainly seem reasonable, but the quick pan of the camera in that scene was quite interesting. Thanks.

There's an incredibly long history of the swastika as a symbol. It was an old, old symbol that in Sanskrit meant 'well being', and also had a deeper meaning of 'permanent victory'. This is what caused the Germans to use it as a symbol for the '1000 Year Reich'.

"The earliest swastika ever found was uncovered in Mezine, Ukraine, carved on an ivory figurine, which dates an incredible 12,000 years, and one of the earliest cultures that are known to have used the Swastika was a Neolithic culture in Southern Europe, in the area that is now Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, known as the Vinca Culture, which dates back around 8,000 years."

https://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/symbol-swastika-and-its-12000-year-old-history-001312

It's still a very common symbol across Asia.

"To this day, it is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Odinism. It is a common sight on temples or houses in India or Indonesia. Swastikas also have an ancient history in Europe, appearing on artifacts from pre-Christian European cultures."

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/history-of-the-swastika

Back
Top Bottom