• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wanting to get a IT degree...

27. Long story short wanted to have a military career, but got injured in Basic Training at Benning when I was 22. Been sucking it out at a 9-5 job and I'm sick of it. Have 2 kid and need to better myself for them

I was medically retired in 2013. I wish I could have stayed in. I do the next best thing and train Soldiers every day. I do networking but I know the focus for the Military is now cyber and will be for the foreseeable future.

I was medically retired in 2013. I wish I could have stayed in. I do the next best thing and train Soldiers every day. I do networking but I know the focus for the Military is now cyber and will be for the forseeable future.

Good to know. That helps a lot.

I'd only say that you won't learn much about IT getting any degree. It should be your hobby and you should be teaching yourself as much as any school. You'll learn more in a 6 month internship than in 4 years of college. You'll need the degree to get promoted, but don't depend on it to teach you how to do your job, whatever you choose. IT isn't like accounting or engineering.

If you want to learn cyber security look at SANS. Expensive as hell but there is nobody in the industry that is better and their certs will get you paid.

I'd only say that you won't learn much about IT getting any degree. It should be your hobby and you should be teaching yourself as much as any school. You'll learn more in a 6 month internship than in 4 years of college. You'll need the degree to get promoted, but don't depend on it to teach you how to do your job, whatever you choose. IT isn't like accounting or engineering.

I would agree. School is all books and fundamentals. Very little hands on. I had more hands on at chattahooche tech versus KSU for what that s worth.

If you have the ability to self learn start working on basic certs.
That will get you a job in the industry. Then find out if you like it and can cut it.
Been in the industry 22 years. It has been good for me but I am the first in last out kind nod of guy.
After you get a year in. Do whatever it takes to pass cissp cert. that will get you in lots of doors.

Do not need a degree in that field

You need certs and real world Experience and ability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom