• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wanting to get a IT degree...

I've been at this over 25 years. Currently a systems and network engineer/architect, though I have done plenty of coding as well. The money in IT is great if you land the right position in a good company.

I recommend:
  • Cybersecurity
  • Big Data
  • Cloud Architecture
And definately take @NWSharpshooter up on his offer.

www.xclusivetouch.co.uk_wp_content_uploads_2014_03_comics_Davea039090bcc0c61d088ce9e26db165fde.gif

I think the best major you can get right now is something to do with computer security.
My recommendations as someone who's been a front line IT guy for way too long,
A major emphasizing IT security.
A major emphasizing Business and Finance
Something that emphasizes Project Management.

Get started on Security at Cybrary. https://www.cybrary.it/
Cybrary was started by security professionals and it's free.
Learning how to code is good too.
You can do that outside of college for free.
Try these websites;
https://www.freecodecamp.org
https://www.hackerrank.com/dashboard

Use the free sites to compliment the College classes. You'll do great.

I agree with most here that certs are more important than degrees, but a lot of the higher level certs are somewhat expensive. Having a degree on your resume will help you make it past the HR people who dont really know much about IT or IT certifications. Gwinnett Tech has a really good Security program, my brother graduated from there about 3 yrs ago and is making a very nice living as a security consultant now. I am almost finished with my degree from there as well. If you dont already know your way around Linux operating systems, start learning now.

Its also not a bad idea to join some IT organizations such as TAG (Technology Association of Georgia) and ISSA (Information Systems Security Association). Also, attend conferences when you can. Good opportunity to network and increase your knowledge. The annual Hacker Halted conference, which is an IT security conference, is here in Atlanta on October 9th and 10th this year. In the past, registration has been free for ISSA members, I haven't checked yet to see if that is the case this year or not.

I agree with most here that certs are more important than degrees, but a lot of the higher level certs are somewhat expensive. Having a degree on your resume will help you make it past the HR people who dont really know much about IT or IT certifications. Gwinnett Tech has a really good Security program, my brother graduated from there about 3 yrs ago and is making a very nice living as a security consultant now. I am almost finished with my degree from there as well. If you dont already know your way around Linux operating systems, start learning now.

Its also not a bad idea to join some IT organizations such as TAG (Technology Association of Georgia) and ISSA (Information Systems Security Association). Also, attend conferences when you can. Good opportunity to network and increase your knowledge. The annual Hacker Halted conference, which is an IT security conference, is here in Atlanta on October 9th and 10th this year. In the past, registration has been free for ISSA members, I haven't checked yet to see if that is the case this year or not.

I graduated from Gwinnett Tech as well, in 2014. They have a great program.

Certs, Security, and Cloud based technology is all good advice. IT is changing so fast that it really is all about the ones that keep themselves up to date with the latest technologies. I work with recent college graduates that are just a few years out of school and already are falling behind because they are just relying on their degree.

I'll throw this one out there since I can't seem to see where anyone else has suggested it. I'm in IT and I actually manage Data Centers for HP. Been doing that about 8 years now. Before that, was at IBM for 2 years and before that was at The Home Depot IT for 5 years. Also for a small trucking company in the Atlanta area for 2 years. There are not a lot of people who actually have the experience and acumen to manage the actual infrastructure itself. I work with the Unix, Linux, Windows, Storage, SAN , Power, Cooling and Security groups of the Data Centers. You understand what all they do but manage how they all live under one roof. I manage DCs all over North, Central and South America. I pretty much travel to these sites when needed. There are D.C. Certs offerings now that were not available when I got into Data Centers after my 2 year AASIT Degree from Clayton College and State University at the time (now Clayton State University). Just a thought. Companies are always looking for D.C. Managers. I know I get job offers almost quarterly from all over the country. Sure I have years of experience but there is a small pool of those available for these type of jobs.

Of course, you can always get usually any of the Cisco certs and get a job working right away but you'll grind in a support role for a couple of years before you get a CCISP or Security Cert. 2 year degrees are always the way to go in IT and Certs. I have the following:

ITIL v3
LP1
A+
Net+
AASIT Degree from CCSU

So as you can see I don't have a lot of certs but have moved in IT rather nicely and make good scratch and don't have to deal with Atlanta traffic on a daily basis. Just my $0.02

Back
Top Bottom