• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wanting to get into “laid back” competition shooting

YUK0N

Default rank <5000 posts
GRINGO MANDINGO
84   0
Reaction score
Anywhere local that offers a not to serious shooting league? Not trying to have anyone follow me with a timer while my fat ass runs around an obstacle course. Just looking for some laid back fun competition. Any recommendations? Thanks ODT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too.
And no, I don’t know of one.

For a while I thought bowling pin matches would be good, since there’s no running or ducking or using cover.
But even the pin matches have ridiculous rules about the course of fire you have to memorize.
Ex: Stage 1, shoot left to right only.
Stage 2, shoot right to left only.
Stage 3, shoot left pin, then farthest right pin, then second-to-left pin, then second-to-right pin...

Silliness. I want a shooting competition, not a game of “Simon Says.”

Not sure how far it is for you, but River Bend Gun Club in Dawsonville runs an outlaw Action Pistol match on the 3rd Saturday of each month. It's usually where I send new shooters or people who want something more casual. They run 3 30ish round stages, but there's basically only 1 way to shoot each and you just follow the path laid out shooting things along the way. You'll get to shoot some steel, some paper, and occasionally some type of moving target. They have a few divisions for different guns (limited, rimfire, etc) and pretty much the only rules are safety stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Not sure how far it is for you, but River Bend Gun Club in Dawsonville runs an outlaw Action Pistol match on the 3rd Saturday of each month. It's usually where I send new shooters or people who want something more casual. They run 3 30ish round stages, but there's basically only 1 way to shoot each and you just follow the path laid out shooting things along the way. You'll get to shoot some steel, some paper, and occasionally some type of moving target. They have a few divisions for different guns (limited, rimfire, etc) and pretty much the only rules are safety stuff.

I’ll check it out. Thanks man!

I used to compete in the NRA gallery pistol matches.
Slow fire (10 shots in 10 minutes), timed fire (2 strings of 5 shots each with a 20 second limit),
And rapid fire (5 shots in 10 sec, done twice).
All firing from 50 feet.
All one-handed.

I’d like to see something like this, but with 4 stages, two of the stages being two-handed shooting, and the other two single-hand only.

Have a point system for handicaps based on you gun’s features.
Iron sights = standard scoring.
Optics = you get a 5 point deduction
Trigger weight under 4 lbs, you get a 5 point deduction.
Trigger weight 4.0 to 5.6 lbs, standard scoring.
Trigger weight 5.7 lbs or more, you get 5 points added as a handicap.

Extra short barrels get a handicap bonus.
Normal length barrels get standard scoring.
Remarkably long barrels get a 5-point deduction.

Rimfire guns have 5 points deducted from their scores.
.32 to .38 spl and 9mm get standard scoring.
.40 S&W, .357, .44, .45 and all magnum centerfire calibers get a 5-point bonus.

River Bend will also be adding a Steel Challenge match starting in the Spring. This is great for anyone not wanting to run around.

I might just have to make the 1.5 hour drive!

Looks like Griffin gun range does a steel match as well..... anyone ever been here?

Back
Top Bottom