• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wanting To Get Into Reloading

uzzo2

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
2   0
Reaction score
I want to start reloading, mainly because of the price of ammo these days. I've read a bunch of the threads here and would still like some more advice if possible. I am looking at this Lee kit shown here: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/42...reech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit
I read all the reviews on it and they were mostly positive, except for the scales. I have a couple of sets of digital scales though as long as the units are right. It'll measure either grams or ounces, is that the same unit of measure for powder scales?

I also need advice on what manuals to buy, I've asked people and I seem to get different answers from every person. I think that Lymans was probably the one I heard most. Hornady for load data was another that was prevalent, I'll mostly be loading for my 30-06 and 30/30. I have a 9mm and a couple of 380's, I don't know if it'll be worth reloading those since it hasn't gotten quite as expensive as my rifle cartridges. I also have an AK-47, I'm pretty darn sure I couldn't reload those cartridges for what I could buy them for. I'm also looking for a place to buy supplies. Macon is probably the closest big city to me, I know Bass pro shop carries some stuff. I heard there was a place in Perry called Sportsman Warehouse, but I haven't been able to find it online.

The Lee kit is a very good starter kit. The scale you will need comes with the kit. If you need or want a digital scale it would need to weigh grains instead of grams, big difference. You could do conversions but you could mess up on your math and have issues. Hornady makes a good charging unit with scale for fairly cheap. The Lyman manual is good so is the Lee manual. It is good that you are reading the manuals there are lots of good ones out there. Instead of the one you have listed I would go with this one http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit because it has the hand primer with shellholders, JMO. Looking at the cost savings is only one aspect of reloading. I like handloading because I kknow I can make superior ammo that is specifically made for my weapon. Please dono't just look at the cost savings. Hope this helps you!

The reasonn that you hear so many different reccomendations is that people like certain colors (or brands) and really any press and dies will do a fine job!
The Lee reloading stuff is simply more for the money and they have virtually reduced the prices on all the major reloading components as they produce a high quality product for less, there by driving down the green , the orange products that were over priced.
Nothing wrong with the Lee scale, its extremely accurate,actually any balance beam scale is, i mean they have been in use since before Christ, so thats a pretty good track record!
the probelms with electronic scales generally are they wander in shown weight, they become inacuurate over time, they are sensitive to temperatures.
the higher price units are better in all regards and personally i think the low priced units are down right dangerous.
Typically press kits are a good bit cheaper than putitng together all the parts that you need, Lee has an outstanding customer service reputation and most all my reloading stuff is Lee, althoguh i have used the Blue, the Green, the Orange stuff in the past as well.
as for reloading manuals really delpends on what you are going to be loading, IF you are going to use Speer projectiles then get a speer manual, Hornady projectiles get a Hornady manual, etc.
for general reloading info the lyman and the lee manuals are better for all round reloading info on different powders and projectiles.
Hope this helsp.

The Lee kit is a very good starter kit. The scale you will need comes with the kit. If you need or want a digital scale it would need to weigh grains instead of grams, big difference. You could do conversions but you could mess up on your math and have issues. Hornady makes a good charging unit with scale for fairly cheap. The Lyman manual is good so is the Lee manual. It is good that you are reading the manuals there are lots of good ones out there. Instead of the one you have listed I would go with this one http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit because it has the hand primer with shellholders, JMO. Looking at the cost savings is only one aspect of reloading. I like handloading because I kknow I can make superior ammo that is specifically made for my weapon. Please dono't just look at the cost savings. Hope this helps you!

Thanks guys, please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between the press mounted primer and a hand primer. In my mind having never seen it done. It seems letting the press do it would be easier, would it not? As far as the accuracy goes, that's just going to be an added benefit to me with reloading. I'm trying to stock up for when the **** hits the fan and with the prices of ammo these days, I can't buy as much every payday. The one good thing is that I've befriended a guy at the shooting range that I go to that reloads. I'm sure he'll help me some too. But he's also told me that he'll give me all the brass that I need, that should save me some money too shouldn't it?

Thanks guys, please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between the press mounted primer and a hand primer. In my mind having never seen it done. It seems letting the press do it would be easier, would it not? As far as the accuracy goes, that's just going to be an added benefit to me with reloading. I'm trying to stock up for when the **** hits the fan and with the prices of ammo these days, I can't buy as much every payday. The one good thing is that I've befriended a guy at the shooting range that I go to that reloads. I'm sure he'll help me some too. But he's also told me that he'll give me all the brass that I need, that should save me some money too shouldn't it?

Heck yea that will save money. More often than not brass is one of the biggest costs. If you have someone willing to give you free brass that is good. The Lee primer that mounts on the press is ok I just don't like it. I am much faster and can "feel" more with the hand priming tool. This is how I know sometimes if the brass is still reloadable by the "feel" of the primer seating in the pocket. Just my way of doing things. But yea if you can get free brass you can defintely save some cash.

I would strongly urge you to begin reading on the entire subject of reloading BEFORE you even consider buying any type of press.
Lyman's Reloading Handbook 49th Edition is both inexpensive and educational. The ABC's of Reloading (latest edition) is another good educational tool.
Seeing someone reload or watching YouTube videos will not give you the necessary foundation of "why" various reloading activities must be completed
before and in-between using a loading press. Reloading is like SCUBA Diving: Very safe and a lot of fun; skip steps and you will likely end-up injured or dead!

I would strongly urge you to begin reading on the entire subject of reloading BEFORE you even consider buying any type of press.
Lyman's Reloading Handbook 49th Edition is both inexpensive and educational. The ABC's of Reloading (latest edition) is another good educational tool.
Seeing someone reload or watching YouTube videos will not give you the necessary foundation of "why" various reloading activities must be completed
before and in-between using a loading press. Reloading is like SCUBA Diving: Very safe and a lot of fun; skip steps and you will likely end-up injured or dead!

Nah, I just watched a couple of youtube reloading vids. The dude had a fifth of Jack, a 6 inch C-clamp, some vice grip pliers and a couple of nail punches. What could possibly go wrong?:rofl:

The Lee kit is a great setup. I have one that's been in use since 96. I would also recommend Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/639649/lee-modern-reloading-2nd-edition-revised-reloading-manual
Don't be intimidated by how thick most manuals are they are mostly caliber specific load data. Read and comprehend everything up to the data keep the manual handy and you should be ready to get started.
The scales that come with the Lee kit actually work quite nicely. I prefer the hand primer, super quick and easy. I would also recommend the Lee deluxe die set for your -06. Neck sizing for a bolt rifle produces some very accurate ammo and case lubing with the collet die is not necessary.
You're probably gonna get the best deal by shopping online for everything except powder and primers. (Hazmat fees)

The Lee kit is a great setup. I have one that's been in use since 96. I would also recommend Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/639649/lee-modern-reloading-2nd-edition-revised-reloading-manual
Don't be intimidated by how thick most manuals are they are mostly caliber specific load data. Read and comprehend everything up to the data keep the manual handy and you should be ready to get started.
The scales that come with the Lee kit actually work quite nicely. I prefer the hand primer, super quick and easy. I would also recommend the Lee deluxe die set for your -06. Neck sizing for a bolt rifle produces some very accurate ammo and case lubing with the collet die is not necessary.
You're probably gonna get the best deal by shopping online for everything except powder and primers. (Hazmat fees)

Yeah, that's what I've heard with the powder and primer, hazmat fees will eat your lunch. So I've got to find it locally or somewhat locally if I can. Now I read somewhere that you're better off buying the load data manual book for what projectile you buy. In other words, if I buy hornady bullets, I should get the hornady load data book. Is that the case in everyone's opinion?

Yeah, that's what I've heard with the powder and primer, hazmat fees will eat your lunch. So I've got to find it locally or somewhat locally if I can. Now I read somewhere that you're better off buying the load data manual book for what projectile you buy. In other words, if I buy hornady bullets, I should get the hornady load data book. Is that the case in everyone's opinion?

Yes but you would still need to start low and work your way up to find what works in your weapon. Most published data is for a certain barrel length and if you have a different length barrel you might not need as much powder as the load data calls for. The name of the game is to push the projectile the entire length of the barrel, in other words there is a point of diminishing return. On the other hand if you don't add enough powder you will be leaving some velocity behind due to friction. This can get complicated very quick. But the load data in the book should be fairly close.

Back
Top Bottom