• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wanting To Get Into Reloading

Thanks Ramrod, can you explain the seating process a little further for me please? Are you saying that you intentionally seat one too long and then put some soot on the projectile, chamber it, then see where the rifling marks start on the soot and then seat it to the depth where that mark will just be starting in the lands of the rifling?

Yes that's what he is saying. But here is something to remember is that most factory guns have a long lead to the rifling for lawyer reasons and that seating a bullets ogive just off the rifling is probably going to be too long to be magazine fed, and would cause you to single feed each round.

Yes that's what he is saying. But here is something to remember is that most factory guns have a long lead to the rifling for lawyer reasons and that seating a bullets ogive just off the rifling is probably going to be too long to be magazine fed, and would cause you to single feed each round.

I understand, so I should probably just go with whatever the recommended COL is and leave it at that then eh?

I understand, so I should probably just go with whatever the recommended COL is and leave it at that then eh?

Pretty much. There are variznces in bullet length....sorry thru them all and measure each one.....set your die for the COAL that you want with the longest bullet you find. And then run with it from there.

Pretty much. There are variznces in bullet length....sorry thru them all and measure each one.....set your die for the COAL that you want with the longest bullet you find. And then run with it from there.

I just loaded my first 3, what a great feeling. I can't wait to get to the range and shoot them to see how they do. I called Remington and asked them about the COL. They said I needed to go by the bullet manufacturers recommendation. I guess it's a good thing I bought a hornady loading manual since I bought hornady bullets. The manual shows a maximum COL of 3.340", with the particular bullet I'm using it says to use a COL of 3.210". The 3 I just got finished loading, I used 50.4g of IMR 4350, that's the beginning of the scale and should give me 2500 fps according to the manual. Tomorrow I'll load 3 with 52.3g= 2600 fps, another 3 with 54.2g= 2700 fps, then 3 with 56.1g= 2800 fps. I'll take those to the range and see how they do with 3 shot groups. I even got my 7 year old daughter helping me, she's having a blast guys. Thanks to everyone for all of the advice. One word of advice I got from the friendly folks at the sports center when I bought my powder and primers today. They told me that this stuff was getting hard to come by, but you guys may already know that but I thought I'd pass it along anyway.

Thanks Ramrod, can you explain the seating process a little further for me please? Are you saying that you intentionally seat one too long and then put some soot on the projectile, chamber it, then see where the rifling marks start on the soot and then seat it to the depth where that mark will just be starting in the lands of the rifling?

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.rifle-barrel-free-bore.html

Yes sir.

Old school/bench rest is to seat the bullet far enough to kiss the lands. Soot tells you when you are in the ball park or not. Accuracy seems to be optimize when the bullet ogive rest on the lands but some rifles have "free bore" basically a section of bore that has no lands. A notable one is Weatherby and sooting up a round is a waste of time. You can just seat bullets to factory spec standards and make really good rounds but if you want to make great rounds then consider the advice and tailor your ammo to the rifle or not.

Last edited:
This is what im running.. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690304 Reloading makes shooting pretty affordable if you shop around and always read up on the subject thoroughly
Nice, I am thoroughly enjoying it so far and so is my seven year old daughter. She bugged me to pieces last night to do some more but I want to see how the first 15 we finished up with yesterday morning are going to do when I take it to the range. Once I decide which load I get the best results from, I'm just going to start packing and stacking.

Well the verdict is in folks, I screwed up at first and started at 100 yards and didn't think I was hitting the paper. I did and was close, but then I moved it in to 25 yards and started over. I had already sighted it in at 100 yds with factory loads so I thought I could start there, I got corrected on that with hand loads. Keep in mind that I've NEVER been able to get groups like this before. Bottom right is the starting load, there's only one because I started at 100 yds. and moved it in, then only shot one. Second load is bottom left, third load is top right, fourth is top left and the hottest load is in the center. I'm very pleased with the results, let me know what ya'll think.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee406/uzzo2/122012165648_zps8800ddb8.jpg

Well the verdict is in folks, I screwed up at first and started at 100 yards and didn't think I was hitting the paper. I did and was close, but then I moved it in to 25 yards and started over. I had already sighted it in at 100 yds with factory loads so I thought I could start there, I got corrected on that with hand loads. Keep in mind that I've NEVER been able to get groups like this before. Bottom right is the starting load, there's only one because I started at 100 yds. and moved it in, then only shot one. Second load is bottom left, third load is top right, fourth is top left and the hottest load is in the center. I'm very pleased with the results, let me know what ya'll think.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee406/uzzo2/122012165648_zps8800ddb8.jpg

Very nice job looks to hold nice and tight

Back
Top Bottom