• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wanting To Get Into Reloading

Well the verdict is in folks, I screwed up at first and started at 100 yards and didn't think I was hitting the paper. I did and was close, but then I moved it in to 25 yards and started over. I had already sighted it in at 100 yds with factory loads so I thought I could start there, I got corrected on that with hand loads. Keep in mind that I've NEVER been able to get groups like this before. Bottom right is the starting load, there's only one because I started at 100 yds. and moved it in, then only shot one. Second load is bottom left, third load is top right, fourth is top left and the hottest load is in the center. I'm very pleased with the results, let me know what ya'll think.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee406/uzzo2/122012165648_zps8800ddb8.jpg

Sweet!

Thanks to everyone for all of the help and advice and MERRY CHRISTMAS! Sorry, I'm not politically correct but Happy Hanukkah if you happen to be jewish. I have another question. Where would I be able to find a small powder tray like the one that came with my scale? I've been searching everywhere for one and no luck so far.

I know, right, an expensive habit too, at least getting started it is. Has anyone ever sat down and figured out where their break even point was?

Nope, not worried about it either. I've got 3 presses....bought them all used and haven't even worried about it.

My subsonic 147 load is 150 a case of 1000 .....

Sorry guys but I have yet another question. I was told that any cartridge that hadn't been fired in my rifle needed to be full length resized, no problem. After it had been fired in my rifle I was told that all I needed to do was use the neck sizing die. I took a couple of the cartridges that I shot at the range the other day and put them in my press with the neck sizing die. It doesn't do anything but knock the old primer out. I've got it screwed as far down in the press as it'll go and it just bottoms out against the shell holder. Anyone know what might be causing this?

Sorry guys but I have yet another question. I was told that any cartridge that hadn't been fired in my rifle needed to be full length resized, no problem. After it had been fired in my rifle I was told that all I needed to do was use the neck sizing die. I took a couple of the cartridges that I shot at the range the other day and put them in my press with the neck sizing die. It doesn't do anything but knock the old primer out. I've got it screwed as far down in the press as it'll go and it just bottoms out against the shell holder. Anyone know what might be causing this?

The collet die will only size the neck and push out the primer. Try placing a projectile in a fired case and in one that you gave collet sized you sould see a difference in which one holds the bullet.

Sounds like improper adjustment if the neck wont hold the bullet. Make sure you read the right directions when you adjusted it. the neck sizer and the full length sizer adjust differently.

Yes that is what he is saying. Using a spent casing fired from your gun! I prefer to use a comparator, they are cheap and they measure the ogive (bearing surface of the projectile). This is important because not all bullets are the same length base to tip, or even base to ogive. So to be consistent it is best to use the ogive since that is the part that will contact the grooves. I neck size an empty case and hand start a bullet, enough to give it some tension then chamber it very gently. Then very gently extract the round being careful not to disturb the length, measure the overall length at the ogive to the base of the case. You now have the overall depth of your chamber.
I will seat .030 deeper than my actual and work from there to find the most accurate combination. Keep in mind if you have a magazine the best /most accurate length may not fit in your mag due to length. Then you will have to hand feed each round.

Back
Top Bottom