• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wanting To Get Into Reloading

Sounds like improper adjustment if the neck wont hold the bullet. Make sure you read the right directions when you adjusted it. the neck sizer and the full length sizer adjust differently.

It may have been that, but I just reread the instructions and did it all over again. I think what I was doing wrong was once the primer was knocked out and it bottomed out against the shellholder. I wasn't putting any additional pressure behind it because I was thinking that I would feel some resistance like I did with full length die. So I redid it and put the cartridge back through it that I tried yesterday and once it bottomed out I put some additional pressure, it seems to have sized it(the neck).

Yes that is what he is saying. Using a spent casing fired from your gun! I prefer to use a comparator, they are cheap and they measure the ogive (bearing surface of the projectile). This is important because not all bullets are the same length base to tip, or even base to ogive. So to be consistent it is best to use the ogive since that is the part that will contact the grooves. I neck size an empty case and hand start a bullet, enough to give it some tension then chamber it very gently. Then very gently extract the round being careful not to disturb the length, measure the overall length at the ogive to the base of the case. You now have the overall depth of your chamber.
I will seat .030 deeper than my actual and work from there to find the most accurate combination. Keep in mind if you have a magazine the best /most accurate length may not fit in your mag due to length. Then you will have to hand feed each round.

Hello my friend, you changed your avatar, I liked the old one better. I actually used to have that as my desktop background. I had another guy that reloads tell me the same exact thing. I had one that I seated too deep yesterday so I set it to the side and when I got done with all the rest I pulled it, resized it and got one started. I then chambered it in my rifle and pulled it back out. The bullet was WAY long, it didn't even push it down to the cannelure. Is that something I should be concerned about? I got very good results the other day at the range seating them at what the hornady manual said to do it at (3.210").

Last edited:
Your excitement reminds me of how I was when I started and 20 years later I still get a thrill bringing my targets back to the bench and others looking at them saying Wow that's pretty good!! I'm still hooked.

Don't worry about the cannelure, the neck sized rounds wont be crimped anyway. If you are loading for a Remington you may not be able to load anything to the lands because they are typically very long throated. Also if you are loading long be sure the rounds will fit the mag box unless they are only for the bench.
I have several rifles that like em touching and a couple that need a jump. You'll figure out what's best for you.

Your excitement reminds me of how I was when I started and 20 years later I still get a thrill bringing my targets back to the bench and others looking at them saying Wow that's pretty good!! I'm still hooked.

You know, I really didn't think about that when I decided to start doing it. I was concerned with saving money since the ammo on my 30 caliber stuff started going through the roof. I had no idea that I would actually love doing it, and my family seems to be intrigued by it as well, so I guess it's a win/win.

Back
Top Bottom