• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wanting to suppress an MP-5

Dumb question....Can you thread an MP5 barrel without removing it?

I know the barrels are pressed in and not every smith can build a clone. I have a HK-94 that I SBR'd. I purchased an Urbach 3 Lug and had it installed along with a paddle mag release after I had my form 1 approved. If I were to do it again, I would probably just buy one of the new pistols that already have a 3 lug installed. I am assuming you don't have a sear pack, so no worries about fitting in a sear ready pack or full-auto carrier. Some of the after market clone manufacturers build in impediments preventing certain full auto parts, which make the use of a sear pack hard without some mods to the gun.

PTR has released new MP5 pistols. Some of the newer braces are pretty slick. I got a hell of a deal on an SP89 recently, and want to get a 3 lug installed on it. I purchased an HK-94 Barrel and will have it cut, threaded and a 3 lug installed.
I don't have a sear pack so no worries there. Not sure about threading a barrel while its on the gun. Who knows?

To get concentric threads - the barrel pin is pressed out and the barrel removed for threading. Unless Tornado Technologies special lathe can do it. They did my 700 without removing the barrel from the receiver. Long lead times.

A buddy had his SW45 (MP5 but in 45ACP and used grease gun mags) threaded with the barrel installed by Jaysno Cotter at Investment Grade Firearms. Jaysons did a few extra for him while he had it.

The process was- file and get approved Form 1, cut barrel a bit long with hacksaw, send mostly stripped gun to Jayson, and wait a couple weeks. He has a receiver jig that will let him run it in the lathe for single point cutting. Just gotta keep the rpms low, but you don't thread at 2,000 rpms anyway

A buddy had his SW45 (MP5 but in 45ACP and used grease gun mags) threaded with the barrel installed by Jaysno Cotter at Investment Grade Firearms. Jaysons did a few extra for him while he had it.

The process was- file and get approved Form 1, cut barrel a bit long with hacksaw, send mostly stripped gun to Jayson, and wait a couple weeks. He has a receiver jig that will let him run it in the lathe for single point cutting. Just gotta keep the rpms low, but you don't thread at 2,000 rpms anyway
do you know how much he paid?

PTR has released new MP5 pistols. Some of the newer braces are pretty slick. I got a hell of a deal on an SP89 recently, and want to get a 3 lug installed on it. I purchased an HK-94 Barrel and will have it cut, threaded and a 3 lug installed.

My wife hates you for mentioning this. The PTR is something I plan to purchase now that I googled them based on your post. That thing is slick!

Back
Top Bottom