• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Warmest hunting boots

I buy wool socks. It doesn’t matter what you wear if your socks don’t wick moisture away from your feet they’ll get cold. I hunted in tennis shoes one morning because I forgot my boots. My feet never got cold once.

I buy wool socks. It doesn’t matter what you wear if your socks don’t wick moisture away from your feet they’ll get cold. I hunted in tennis shoes one morning because I forgot my boots. My feet never got cold once.

Yea well maybe but when I met you you were 20 years younger than me. That is an important factor. :)

I wear a Cabela’s wicking socks and a pair of thick wool socks. My toes freeze in 25 degrees in any boot! Even with those pull over quilted boots with the zippers.

can’t wait to get my Mickey Mouse’s!

U.S. military Mickey Mouse boots in white, good for -60 degrees, Sportsman’s Guide usually has them. Mine were made in July of 1963, though I was not.

I think those are called the bunny boots. They are the warmer version of the Mickey Mouse. They are a great boot too from what I’ve read.

I think those are called the bunny boots. They are the warmer version of the Mickey Mouse. They are a great boot to from what I’ve read.

They were issued to me new on February of 1985, started out in the Army Reserves while still in high school, and that was in Maine. They have a valve on the side they you can blow into for a tighter fit. Just make sure to open if airborne, it really says that. Good luck young man.

If you are stand hunting don’t buy warm boots... wear something roomy (enough to easily wiggle your toes) and waterproof so you don’t get your feet wet on the way in, then use a boot blanket, sleeping bag, etc. with hand warmer or electric sock in the stand. Feet often get cold from poor circulation due to age, too much sock pressure, tight laces, etc.
There will never be a boot warm enough to overcome a circulation problem while sitting motionless in a stand. Wear anything TO the stand, insulate IN the stand. Just my .02:thumb:

I'm 63. I find that if I stand up occasionally and wiggle my toes in my boots then my feet stay warm. I usually wear uninsulated Muck boots with a liner sock and a heavy wool sock. Sometimes I wear lightly insulated Browning Kangaroo featherweights. I focus more on keeping my torso and head warm...seems to translate into warm feet. I do not wear all my gear to the stand but put it on after getting there and cooling down from the walk in. I have sat in 12" of snow in Kansas and had warm feet...I really think an oversized boot is important...too tight means cold feet.

Yes I have tried this but the animals laugh at me.
As Lionheart just said, the wiggling of toes and also the subtle movements of your feet will do enough to promote improved circulation and help create warmth. You don’t need to do jumping jacks or anything crazy, do just enough to the point that it isn’t a disturbance.

Back
Top Bottom