• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Warning Shot?

My understanding is that even without that intent, you are justified in using lethal force on a home invader. Correct me if I'm wrong and I'll delete my comment.

Not a lawyer, but if they come crashing into the house of this old guy I'm going to be shooting.
That can't possibly be wrong.... at least not in Georgia.
In Jersey where I grew up you had to retreat as far as you could before you were allowed to defend yourself.
Stupid damned state!
If the bedrooms were upstairs and someone was robbing the downstairs you were helpless to do anything with the law behind you.
Stupid damned state.
Sorry, didn't mean to repeat stupid damned state.
Stupid damned state. :becky:

Not a lawyer, but if they come crashing into the house of this old guy I'm going to be shooting.
In Jersey where I grew up you had to retreat as far as you could before you were allowed to defend yourself.
Stupid damned state!
If the bedrooms were upstairs and someone was robbing the downstairs you were helpless to do anything with the law behind you.
Stupid damned state.
Glad you made it down here to the dirty dirty where perps have been getting shot by civis since the beginning!

TWO POINTS:

If some cop asks you why you did a "warning shot" instead of shooting center of mass to stop the threat, and you say something like "well, he wasn't that much of a threat YET, but I wanted him to stop before he became a threat" aren't you saying that none of the laws in 16-3-21 to 24 apply to you?

BUT, sometimes you can shoot based on an intruder to your HABITATION (home, car, place of business) being a threat to that building, even if he's not a threat to the persons inside that building or vehicle.
This is a real gray area and the Ga. Supreme Court had a split decision about it back in 2004 or 2005.
See Code section 16-3-23 as to defense of habitation.

Stupid damned state!
Stupid damned state.

Isn't Jersey going to be on the other side of that wall anyway's? :becky:

Back
Top Bottom