• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Warped wheel fixing

Here a several manufacturers statements concerning wheel repair. I hope this helps you.
SUBJECT: Reconditioned Wheel Usage OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves Chrysler Group LLC position with regard to reconditioned wheel usage. DISCUSSION: Chrysler Group LLC does not recommend that customers use “reconditioned” wheels (wheels that have been damaged and repaired) because they can result in a sudden catastrophic wheel failure which could cause loss of control and result in injury or death. For clarification: • Cosmetic refinishing for the purpose of repairing a superficial flaw is an acceptable procedure providing it is limited too paint or clear coat only, the wheel is not modified in any way, and there is no exposure to paint curing heat over 200 degrees Fahrenheit. • Damaged wheels are those which have been bent, broken, cracked or sustained some other physical damage which may have compromised the wheel structure. • Repaired indicates that the wheel has been modified through bending, welding, heating, straightening, or material removal to rectify damage. • Re-plating of chrome plated wheels, or chrome plating of original equipment painted or polished wheels, is not an acceptable procedure as this may alter mechanical properties and affect fatigue life. Additionally, Chrysler Group LLC Global Warranty Administration does not allow refinishing of wheels under warranty. This statement supersedes any previously released information by Chrysler Group LLC. For more information, log on to www.MoparRepairConnection.com.

Hyundai Motor America965 10500 Talbert Avenue, Fountain Valley, CA 92708 TEL: 7143000 WEB: Hyundai.com March 28, 2018 TO: Collision Repair Industry FAX: 71496538 16 POSITION STATEMENT: Aluminum and Steel Wheel Repair & Reconditioning Hyundai Motor America does not approve the use of reconditioned steel or aluminum wheels on any Hyundai vehicle. Reconditioned wheels may not meet the same standards as newly manufactured wheels. Reconditioned wheels may contribute to poor performance and compromise safety. Post collision wheel inspection must be performed on all wheels with special attention to wheel(s) subject to the impact zone. Hyundai only recognizes steel or aluminum wheel repair that is limited to surface treatment that restores cosmetic appearance of the finish coating.

Audi Position Statement: Wheel Repair and Reconditioning

• Posted on 12 June 2017
  • Share:
  • Print

The wheels on the vehicle are damaged, what type of repairs can be done, if any? And, is it okay to use a reconditioned wheel? Let’s see what Audi has to say.

Per the Wheel Repair and Reconditioning positon statement: “Audi approves only wheel repairs which are limited to surface sanding and cosmetic refinishing that removes and replaces only paint coatings.” The position statement also clarifies that, “Reconditioned wheels will not meet the specifications of genuine Audi wheels and are not an approved acceptable method of repair on any Audi vehicle.”

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2018/12/14/porsche-explains-rationale-for-ban-on-wheel-repairs/

I think a lot of those are disclaimers bc the manufacturers have no control over who does the wheel repair? Ie, Joe Schmo in his backyard with a torch and a hammer, or a company that has state of the art repair equipment.

I think a lot of those are disclaimers bc the manufacturers have no control over who does the wheel repair? Ie, Joe Schmo in his backyard with a torch and a hammer, or a company that has state of the art repair equipment.

I'd assume that too

Imo it is a safety issue. Micro fractures and stress cracks can not be repaired even with state of the art equipment. I would not want to be going 50+mph and have a wheel come apart. I would not put a repaired wheel on my daughter's car.

Imo it is a safety issue. Micro fractures and stress cracks can not be repaired even with state of the art equipment. I would not want to be going 50+mph and have a wheel come apart. I would not put a repaired wheel on my daughter's car.

You wouldn't ever want to fly on an airplane, I promise! :pound:

I get your point. I work in the collision industry and have seen the worst so my opinion is a bit biased.

When you work in an industry like that, collision, aircraft maintenance, whatever--you see things that the everyday public aren't privy to. You definitely form opinions after getting over the initial shock!

Something I just thought about. What about straightening a frame? Is there a way to guarantee there are no micro fissures? Vehicles have alloy structures in some places now, it's not always steel but steel can be prone to cracking also. I realize it's not rotating mass like a wheel is...

@RallySport what's your take?

Somewhat related is welding on a steel wheel with a mounted tire.

There are safty videos on this, one showing the assembly exploding 8 or more hours later. Scary stuff.

Back
Top Bottom