• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Was....Made in U.S.A

I read an article about their farm raised Tilapia. They start them off in what we would call cesspools of waste and run off water. As they grow, they start to move them to somewhat cleaner water, but at no point do they spend any real time in true fresh water except for the very end when they are about to be harvested.
I can't imagine what the process is for other food stuffs coming from there.

cabinet hinges,the ones on my 30 year old house clearly state made in usa,i went to home depot to get a replacement hinge...made in china.did it fit nope looked correct but was off on the screw holes and back space.
i found some in an antique store,bought 10 of them all made in use and yep fit perfectly

Mods, please move this to stupid stuff or rants. I dont know how to begin to respond.
1) Economically, China is your economic ally. China provide goods to US consumers so that your cost of living stays low. They consume soy beans that your farmers grow. When was the last time you drank soy milk or ate edamame?
2) Americans love Walmart. You want something made in the US? Don't look there nor shop there. You wont find it. But they love Walmart because it's cheaper and helps with their wallet.
3) Americans tried buying cars made in America. Those Pintos and Mavericks didn't do so well.
4) There is nothing wrong with China building up their military. Just as there is nothing wrong with every American wanting to not have their 2nd Amendments trampled on. Everyone should have the right to bear arms. That doesn't exclude China. You want something made in America? Here are some really good ones that come to mind. 1) Cigarettes , 2) Condoms, 3) Pharma

1. China is just a trading partner - not an ally of ours.
2. Don't shop at Walmart for that reason - everything is imported. Read the the book "The Walmart Effect" - it
tells how they pushed companies to outsource, so they can do a price "rollback" every year. Once one company
did it, then their competitors had to also - it just keeps going. I blame them for making it worse.
3. Sounds as though you haven't been car shopping since 1971. Go to a Ram dealer now - you'll be shocked.
4. Tell Vietnam, Taiwan, Philippines & Japan that China's military isn't a threat. They have developed military
bases in the Spratly Islands for the sole purpose of claiming that whole area as theirs. They continue to threaten Taiwan with invasion and probe Japan's defenses with overflights. Got no problem with Chinese citizens owning a firearm. The issue is when the communist Chinese government starts using its weapons to force their will on others.

Yeah I get your point, that it can lower prices on some goods. However once those U.S. jobs are moved overseas, then where do those Americans go to work? We have lost most if not all textiles, electronics and so many others that it takes a toll on our economy. We will have a harder time being the "arsenal of democracy" now as we're heading towards being a service economy.

India is rapidly taking over in the programming field.
And flooding our country with doctors.
That’s just key entry, basic typing what you are told. I could be wrong but I thinks it’s a lot different.
But I’m just mechanic/truck driver type of person so I could be completely off

For 20 years I worked for a manufacturing co and WalMart was the biggest customer. In the late 80s I remember their made in America promotion. All products that we made hade to have that with the flag on the package. They even came and filmed a commercial about us. Then things changed. They demanded lower prices and we could not compete. Plant closed in 2001. This was a company that had been around over 75 years. My dad worked there for over 40 years. During my time as warehouse supervisor we went from 10 or less import containers a month to over 40. NAFTA didn’t help either. Its sad we don’t make things here anymore.

3. Sounds as though you haven't been car shopping since 1971. Go to a Ram dealer now - you'll be shocked.
Also hasn't looked at where vehicles are made {rather than the company). Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, BMW, ... have production over here. And many in the South.
That’s just key entry, basic typing what you are told. I could be wrong but I thinks it’s a lot different.
But I’m just mechanic/truck driver type of person so I could be completely off
Much programming (developing new code) is being done in India.
As in most industries, new innovations come from here. After that things move elsewhere.
A big reason why China's intellectual property stealing is so important. As well as their "we'll buy from you as long as you set up some production here (so we can steal ALL of your secrets and start making it ourselves)" policy.

Also hasn't looked at where vehicles are made {rather than the company). Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, BMW, ... have production over here. And many in the South.

Much programming (developing new code) is being done in India.
As in most industries, new innovations come from here. After that things move elsewhere.
A big reason why China's intellectual property stealing is so important. As well as their "we'll buy from you as long as you set up some production here (so we can steal ALL of your secrets and start making it ourselves)" policy.

Honda-Many are made in Alabama, with components made in GA
Toyota-Texas, Mississippi, and TN
BMW-South Carolina
Mercedes-Alabama
VW-TN
KIA-GA
Nissan-Mississippi and TN

Not to mention all of the Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers that make the little parts that make up the car. The plant I work in supplies to VW, GM, and Mercedes.

Unless you get something like Kizer, the materials aren't even the same. So yeah, big difference. Really like my Kershaws. Unfortunately, W.R. Case isn't what it used to be.

Some of the Chinese instrument are getting better. There are some companies making instruments there with better materials and QC, without all the cosmetics so you have a good sounding/playing instrument that costs less.

I have a China made Eastman mandolin that punches way above its weight class. For an American mando that sounds as good it would cost 5x more. My Eastman is hand carved too....I played a very nice Blueridge (made in China. Ain't that rich?)acoustic guitar at a small shop in Clayton, Ga last year that blew my mind. It was around $1k, but an American guitar that is made so well would cost $3k. It was that good. It also had the very well done cosmetics.

Yes, the Chinese made musical instruments have come a long ways. I would rather buy American, and still do when I can, but it's hard not to be tempted by the great values out there.

Back
Top Bottom