• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WASR, NPAP, other AKs

Another vote for WASR. I’m not a fan of NPAPs but I do like the Yugos with the actual 1.5mm receiver and bulged RPK front trunnion. Yugos have a few differences than standard AKMs so only Yugo furniture, gas tubes, and I believe bolt carrier pistons work with Yugos but theyre tanks. Be on the look out Century has boogered up the Yugo market a bit with their own variations.
Right now the absolute best bang for your buck is the Arsenal 107R. It’s the fixed stock version, Arsenal import has slowed tremendously and after hearing the sales manager talk about this upcoming year you’re not gonna be seeing stamped Arsenal’s anytime soon it looks like. They’re regularly 850.00 and still available.
107 folders haven’t been around in awhile and aren’t on the schedule for import thus far this year either they jumped from 1000-1400 in a year or two. Crazy.
I like the Arsenal I had back in the day, but I wouldn't really call them entry level rifles. Subjectively speaking, $800 is more of a mid-range price point. At this point we're in MAK-90 territory and that's an excellent rifle too.
In the $500ish area, the WASR is still king. Ironic thing is that I haven't shot my WASR in a couple of years. The only AK that has been getting a work out is a PSAK47, but I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone run out and buy one of those, not in good faith anyways. It took months and months to work out all the bugs, so for the time and irritation that I have into the gun, I figured might as well get some use out of it.

I like the Arsenal I had back in the day, but I wouldn't really call them entry level rifles. Subjectively speaking, $800 is more of a mid-range price point. At this point we're in MAK-90 territory and that's an excellent rifle too.
In the $500ish area, the WASR is still king.
Man it’s been tough finding a 500.00 WASR I’m seeing 650 and sometimes 7 asked for WASR now days. Albeit I don’t agree with that price but that’s creeping into arsenal territory. If OP could save a few hundred more I think he’d have a nicer rifle and we’d all love to trade for it if he doesn’t :becky:

If he can find a 500.00 WASR id go that way as well, but you know he’s gonna dig the Kalish’

I think there’s a nice one on here with some extras to include a Bakelite mag in the 600 world of things. Has KVAR furniture on it and a magpul PG I do remember that

Man it’s been tough finding a 500.00 WASR I’m seeing 650 and sometimes 7 asked for WASR now days. Albeit I don’t agree with that price but that’s creeping into arsenal territory. If OP could save a few hundred more I think he’d have a nicer rifle and we’d all love to trade for it if he doesn’t :becky:

If he can find a 500.00 WASR id go that way as well, but you know he’s gonna dig the Kalish’

I think there’s a nice one on here with some extras to include a Bakelite mag in the 600 world of things. Has KVAR furniture on it and a magpul PG I do remember that
Holy crap... I stand corrected. Early fall of last year I was seeing them for $529 from Gunprodeals and Grabagun, but it looks like prices (via gun.deals) have jumped more than $100 since then. If you do an MPN search, you can see that Centerfire Systems was selling for $549 last time they were in stock. For $700+ I would be looking at an Arsenal too!

Wow lots of votes for WASR. I guess I need to look into other stuff. I thought an arsenal wouldnt happen for less than $1k. I have no way to know a quality AK than by word of mouth. The century RAS47 looks really good and I've handled one but I saw hate online and bought the Adams Arms piston AR next to it instead. I also just found out that PSA has AKs but I know nothing about them. Feel free to throw in other recommendations or info if you like cause it all helps.

RAS is absolute junk. PSA Generation 2 is better than RAS, but not by much.
Riley Defense is the only US made AK that seems to be doing OK for now.

Arsenal prices are going up, as Arsenal Bulgaris sends more rifles to Middle East and not to US.
Century has exclusive contract with Romanian Cuigir arsenal for US, and they are choking the supply, pushing their own C39V2 and RAS junk...
Russian AK have been banned from importation.
Polish WBP AK are great, but $1000.

Wow lots of votes for WASR. I guess I need to look into other stuff. I thought an arsenal wouldnt happen for less than $1k. I have no way to know a quality AK than by word of mouth. The century RAS47 looks really good and I've handled one but I saw hate online and bought the Adams Arms piston AR next to it instead. I also just found out that PSA has AKs but I know nothing about them. Feel free to throw in other recommendations or info if you like cause it all helps.
Might want to check out AK Operators Union on YouTube. Lots of torture testing and pretty informative.

I had major issues with my PSAK47 GB2. It came with serious fitment issues and parts that were supposed to be forged were actually cast. It was my worst purchase of the year. It took 4 months going back and forth between PSA and myself to get most of the issues worked out. In the end, it was corrected enough to where it wasn't worth continuing trying to chase down stuff like the gas tube cover retaining spring. The sights were also somewhat canted, but that can be fixed by throwing a red dot on there. It's a nice rifle after a bunch of work, but it's pointless when you can just get a WASR that is built with better components in the first place.

Wendy's single stack = GOOD
WASR single stack = BAD
They are all imported as single stack sporting rifles and then opened up in US. WASR does not have dimples, but is OK. Neither does my 2004 Vepr, and it will outshoot most of otjer AKs on the market. And takes regular mags.

Reactions: MRH
Back
Top Bottom