• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Watch your credit score

I'm planning on suing them in small claims court. So should every single person harmed. That _will_ force them out of business.

The funny thing is I already had a credit freeze from when the state of GA leaked our information.

But this leak involves a lot of people's private details, and it's just bad. I don't see a way that you, or any of us, could lose in the courts.

This is probably the worst hack so far... at least that we know of.

At 140 million people, it affects over 60% the adult population of the US today. And the information that was lost includes all the details that you would need to supply to prove 'you are you' in a case of identity fraud. Social Security, personal information, billing and purchase history. Someone could use this information to completely lock you out of your own life.

Even worse, they could easily apply for new ID using this information, and literally take over your real life, not just your financial one.

Since there is no national standard on when a company has to notify the public about a breach, this just kind of sat there for a couple of months while they tried to figure what went one. To be fair, this kind of forensic work takes a lot of time and effort, but that shouldn't have stopped them from at least establishing the affected accounts and notifying those people.

After all, it's not like they don't have our mailing address.

Some folks mentioned LifeLock. That's not a credit freeze but a credit monitor, just like the one Equifax directs you to if your data was breached. BTW, here the link to check on that...

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

That's the home page... you need to go to the 'enroll' section to see if your data was part of the hack.

What's really insane is that their 'fix' is to give you a "free year" of their credit own monitoring product.

Really?

So my SSN, home address, and credit score will all magically disappear off the Internet after the year is up?

Yeah... Didn't think so.

This time next year they will be getting a huge windfall for monitoring peoples credit information... something they should be doing as part of their job. And of course they still have verbiage in the enrollment agreement saying that you will agree to arbitration rather than being a member of a class action suit if you accept the free year. It's just not mandatory now.

If you do opt for a freeze be aware that they will nickel and dime you on charges to lock and unlock your information. Each state sets their own fee schedule, and I don't remember what GA's is for sure, but I think it's around $10 for each freeze at each site. Supposedly Equifax will reimburse you for any freeze costs, but the other two will still be charging you and you have to do all three.

Equifax is soft pedalling this right now, but for once I'm actually hoping Pocahontas (Elizabeth Warren) wins out. Supposedly she's going after them big time... too bad the Dems did think about this stuff when they were letting the banks write Dodd/Frank.

This is probably the worst hack so far... at least that we know of.

At 140 million people, it affects over 60% the adult population of the US today. And the information that was lost includes all the details that you would need to supply to prove 'you are you' in a case of identity fraud. Social Security, personal information, billing and purchase history. Someone could use this information to completely lock you out of your own life.

Even worse, they could easily apply for new ID using this information, and literally take over your real life, not just your financial one.

Since there is no national standard on when a company has to notify the public about a breach, this just kind of sat there for a couple of months while they tried to figure what went one. To be fair, this kind of forensic work takes a lot of time and effort, but that shouldn't have stopped them from at least establishing the affected accounts and notifying those people.

After all, it's not like they don't have our mailing address.

Some folks mentioned LifeLock. That's not a credit freeze but a credit monitor, just like the one Equifax directs you to if your data was breached. BTW, here the link to check on that...

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

That's the home page... you need to go to the 'enroll' section to see if your data was part of the hack.

What's really insane is that their 'fix' is to give you a "free year" of their credit own monitoring product.

Really?

So my SSN, home address, and credit score will all magically disappear off the Internet after the year is up?

Yeah... Didn't think so.

This time next year they will be getting a huge windfall for monitoring peoples credit information... something they should be doing as part of their job. And of course they still have verbiage in the enrollment agreement saying that you will agree to arbitration rather than being a member of a class action suit if you accept the free year. It's just not mandatory now.

If you do opt for a freeze be aware that they will nickel and dime you on charges to lock and unlock your information. Each state sets their own fee schedule, and I don't remember what GA's is for sure, but I think it's around $10 for each freeze at each site. Supposedly Equifax will reimburse you for any freeze costs, but the other two will still be charging you and you have to do all three.

Equifax is soft pedalling this right now, but for once I'm actually hoping Pocahontas (Elizabeth Warren) wins out. Supposedly she's going after them big time... too bad the Dems did think about this stuff when they were letting the banks write Dodd/Frank.

a couple of stations have also started reporting that the tool to check if you were affected is bogus as well, it apparently will tell you that you were effected almost every time even with completely made up information

a couple of stations have also started reporting that the tool to check if you were affected is bogus as well, it apparently will tell you that you were effected almost every time even with completely made up information

I checked and it said I wasn't affected. Do you have a link I can read?

My wife and I are supposedly impacted. This just makes me not care anymore. Why try to hide information at this point? For the rest of my life my information will be out there. The second I unfreeze my credit should I need to, someone will swoop in and apply for credit in my name. Equifax will not survive the multiple class action suits.

If anything, this needs to kick the government and others in the butt to get a better identity system than the SSN.

Back
Top Bottom