• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Watch your credit score

The only upside to this is I made out like a bandit this week shorting EFX. Recovered about half the loss from my US Steel debacle from a few months ago.

This is another one of those essentially-monopolized industries that is begging for some enterprising visionary to come in and rock their world. If this doesn't serve as a wake up call, I don't know what will.

Yes, happened a lot in last couple of years.

So credit freeze is only fixes one problem. Seems like there are at least a few other options for a hacker to exploit this breach. Can you imagine the backup nightmare of thousands of people trying to dispute fraudulent credit issues. Getting your credit cleaned up could end up being like waiting on the ATF for a suppressor.

before the age of computers being linked together with every piece of information about you the social security number was more secure. I don't understand why they'd keep the ssn your medicare number and various other important cards, every hospital you go to has your social security number pretty much and they hire the cheapest tech security they can

Heck, my Dad used to inscribe his SSN on expensive tools, just in case they got stolen. There's probably more pieces of paper with my SSN number on it sitting in filing cabinets than there are in any computer system. Your SSN was never 'secure' and was never intended to be private. The growth of the credit card industry in the 1960s is what drove all that, and as we've seen again and again, it's a house of cards.

So credit freeze is only fixes one problem. Seems like there are at least a few other options for a hacker to exploit this breach. Can you imagine the backup nightmare of thousands of people trying to dispute fraudulent credit issues. Getting your credit cleaned up could end up being like waiting on the ATF for a suppressor.

Credit freeze does fix the issue of someone taking out a new loan or credit card, but I don't think it solves the main identity fraud issues. There are lots of things you can do with a persons information that never touch a credit bureau, but will still let you steal someone's life.

Imagine having cops show up at your door because you are wanted for a hit and run in a state you've never lived in for a car you never registered. Or when you find out you are a felon because someone serving time had 'your' license on them when they were arrested and convicted.

There's lots of good ways to solve this, but they all involve the destruction of the whole credit reporting industry. I don;t think they will go the chip route mentioned above... those are too easy to hack already. I'm predicting they will want to ask for genetic samples so that you can always 'prove' who you are with a DNA test.

I've always locked my credit until I needed a check for some reason. Last time I did, two locked ok, one told me I wasn't me and kicked me out, need to go fix that.

Back
Top Bottom