• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Water storage for vegetable garden.

hawk-eye

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
48   0
Reaction score
I am asking for assistance in developing a water storage system for the house. 4 55 gal plastic drums, inlet, interconnected drums, over flow, and 3/4"garden hose valve. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

I looked into this. For potable water the issue that you need to work around is keeping the stored water from sitting uncirculated. If you simply used a clean, food grade, storage container. Loaded it with tap water, sealed it and stored it for a year. It would be undrinkable a year later.

One choice is to drill your own well. The other thing you could do is to set up your house to fill a large storage container and plumb the container to feed the house. When the supply is down. Air pressure or a dc water pump can provide pressure. If you use a water pump you will need to vent air into the tank when you pump water out.

If you are just watering vegetables, replumb your drain lines to send toilet flushed water to the sewer and everything else to gray water storage, which is fine for watering vegetables and everything else in the yard. An electric water pump will give you water pressure. You should use properly marked gray plumbing pipes.

My sister and BIL have the downspouts from their gutters fill their cisterns. Luckily the garden in down hill from the house and then they let gravity do the work.

I am asking for assistance in developing a water storage system for the house. 4 55 gal plastic drums, inlet, interconnected drums, over flow, and 3/4"garden hose valve. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
How are they connected and how is it filled ?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

91B19588-6764-45CE-8F8B-F2D6C1D5AD65.png

I use one of these attached to my gutters. It has a selecter lever to either divert water into a 325 gallon tote (square container in a metal cage) or let it continue down the drain. If you are using th e water strictly for gardening you can let it sit without treatment and the algae will actually work as fertilizer. But if you want the water to be potable you will have to treat it with bleach or aqua mire while it sits. When buying totes make sure to get one that is food grade and has not stored chemicals.

My sister and BIL have the downspouts from their gutters fill their cisterns. Luckily the garden in down hill from the house and then they let gravity do the work.
In some areas, it is illegal to catch your own rainwater...Even though you intend to use it in your garden, they say you are robbing ground water....

Back
Top Bottom