• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WATS up with DEWATS?

enfieldguy

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
265   0
Reaction score
I have seen quite a few DEWATs (Deactivated War Trophies if I'm not mistaken) on GB and at a couple of gun shows lately, and I've been wanting to ask here what exactly is the deal with them? I've seen 'registered' DEWATs, and some that are not. Am I correct in thinking that a registered DEWAT can be reactivated with the proper applications/paperwork? Thanks in advance!

I am not old enough to know all the details on it, but essentially in the 1968 Amnesty, many people registered their DEWAT war trophy MGs. They were plugged or otherwise made inoperable when they were brought here, but the receiver was still intact. If they were registered in the amnesty period correctly, they are now in the NFA registry. They can be REWAT'd using a Form 1. But they HAVE to have been registered in the amnesty. This DOES NOT apply to granddads MP40 in the closet with no paperwork, only to war trophies registered in the amnesty.

TLDR; if it is a registered DEWAT with paperwork, you can form 1 it back into operation. if it is not registered from the amnesty, it is contraband.

They could be registered outside of the 68 amnesty. There are war trophies with registration paperwork and many guns that were sold by dealers as surplus and registered by individuals prior to 86. Bring back paperwork is usually considered registration and has been accepted by the ATF in the past. I have seen a whole collection of 1986 registered Dewats. They were rough but valuable because of what they were.

Back
Top Bottom