• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Waxing your axe/hatchet?

I used several different axes for splitting firewood for more than 15 years, never had any problems with binding.
Just kept them clean and somewhat sharp.

It is more in how you swing it than anything else.

I used several different axes for splitting firewood for more than 15 years, never had any problems with binding.
Just kept them clean and somewhat sharp.

It is more in how you swing it than anything else.

That's where I'm at, but I've had have more than a few people tell me that it's great. I do put a bit of light oil on to keep the surface rust down.

That's where I'm at, but I've had have more than a few people tell me that it's great. I do put a bit of light oil on to keep the surface rust down.

Polishing would do more to slick it up, IMHO.

If you are using it enough, it self polishes.

I do wipe with an oily rag when done with it for the season.

My best splitting axe was found buried in the ground near an old still. Put a new handle on it, knocked the rust off it and been using for years.

IMG_20190729_112243.jpg

The heavily pitted one is a splitting machine. Slightly heavier than the one on the right, but splits better.

The smaller head would work for kindling, and I might get
a handle for it one day, I just use it for a bucking bar for now.

View attachment 2215756

The heavily pitted one is a splitting machine. Slightly heavier than the one on the right, but splits better.

The smaller head would work for kindling, and I might get
a handle for it one day, I just use it for a bucking bar for now.
Never thought of it but it sounds like a good idea anything that would make the cheats of the ax slicker would probably help. Back in the day when I split it by hand I had a 10 lb Maul and that generally did the deal on decent wood, but I always kept a 20 lb sledge right beside it if it ever got stuck I just hammered it through

Never thought of it but it sounds like a good idea anything that would make the cheats of the ax slicker would probably help. Back in the day when I split it by hand I had a 10 lb Maul and that generally did the deal on decent wood, but I always kept a 20 lb sledge right beside it if it ever got stuck I just hammered it through

This makes me tired just reading this.

Back
Top Bottom