• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Way too early... Deer Rifle 2016-17 thread.

View attachment 844576
Rifle season, Snider Enfield (.577 snider), and 1888 Springfield Trapdoor (.45-70) and a Manurhin MR73 (.357 mag, pictured below)
View attachment 844578
Black powder season, Uberti revolving carbine. (.44 caliber)

Awesome group you have there!
And nobody commented on the piebald rug? I think it's very cool. I shot a 5 point piebald when I was 18 and was going to make a rug out of it, and I left it in my cousin's freezer out in his garage. A few days later he was out there and unplugged the freezer for some reason, and forgot to plug it back in...smh! Yep, it ruined my piebald...I've only seen one other piebald in all my years, and that was during the summertime so I couldn't shoot it.

Congrats, Bear! There's nothing more satisfying than hunting your own land!

I love your .300 WSM A Bolt. It's sweet!
Thanks, I love that 300. It started life as a Stainless Stalker w/BOSS and the standard, and ugly, black synthetic stock. Through the years I've changed out the stock to a light weight Bell and Carlson, had the BOSS cut off making it an 18.25 inch carbine, Cerakoted the barrel and action OD and dropped a much better 2.5lb trigger in it. With my hand loads it shoots right around 1.0 MOA. Not the most accurate rifle I own, but plenty accurate enough for ranges out to 400 yards. The shorter barrel takes some velocity off, but it's still significantly more than a full length 30-06.

Reactions: MRH
I dont think its "just use an old mosin" with those upgrades... Should be a sweet shooter and a hard hitter!

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk
when it's shot at the property I hunt on everyone can tell whom took the shot, it has a distinct "boom" to it that the modern cartridges the others shoot don't have. one shot and the deer just jump a little and plop on the ground, a good hunting round for big game

Thanks, I love that 300. It started life as a Stainless Stalker w/BOSS and the standard, and ugly, black synthetic stock. Through the years I've changed out the stock to a light weight Bell and Carlson, had the BOSS cut off making it an 18.25 inch carbine, Cerakoted the barrel and action OD and dropped a much better 2.5lb trigger in it. With my hand loads it shoots right around 1.0 MOA. Not the most accurate rifle I own, but plenty accurate enough for ranges out to 400 yards. The shorter barrel takes some velocity off, but it's still significantly more than a full length 30-06.

I like the upgrades you've done. I want basically the same upgrades for mine stainless stalker(first response to this thread)...I am thinking about a Boyd's custom stock, cerakote, and new trigger. Curious, which trigger did you go with? Timney? Mine did not come with the BOSS and I did not want it...Mine is only a .270, though...

Mine is shooting 1.0 MOA at 70 yards. Everything is factory. Trigger is a bit heavy.

Awesome group you have there!
And nobody commented on the piebald rug? I think it's very cool. I shot a 5 point piebald when I was 18 and was going to make a rug out of it, and I left it in my cousin's freezer out in his garage. A few days later he was out there and unplugged the freezer for some reason, and forgot to plug it back in...smh! Yep, it ruined my piebald...I've only seen one other piebald in all my years, and that was during the summertime so I couldn't shoot it.

I wish it was a piebald, it's actually a calf skin. Haven't seen any around where I live. maybe I'll luck out some day!

when it's shot at the property I hunt on everyone can tell whom took the shot, it has a distinct "boom" to it that the modern cartridges the others shoot don't have. one shot and the deer just jump a little and plop on the ground, a good hunting round for big game
I enjoy that aspect too. I get some of the same remarks about shooting higher powered 45-70... Doesnt matter how big the property or how many guys are hunting it they know its YOU by the sound of your rifle.

I've heard they are only producing it once a year, before hunting season. I don't understand. The .35 is still a popular caliber and for good reason. I prefer .35 over .30/30, but I have 30/30's because of ammo availability...
I think Hornady is loading there LE year round but if you like the ol Corelok its slimpickings on a seasonal run...

I havnt looked for any this year though. Ive got my stash.

I like the upgrades you've done. I want basically the same upgrades for mine stainless stalker(first response to this thread)...I am thinking about a Boyd's custom stock, cerakote, and new trigger. Curious, which trigger did you go with? Timney? Mine did not come with the BOSS and I did not want it...Mine is only a .270, though...

Mine is shooting 1.0 MOA at 70 yards. Everything is factory. Trigger is a bit heavy.
All I did was put a Timney spring in it and clean up the surfaces. Huge different. Light and clean.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/222337/timney-trigger-spring-kit-browning-a-bolt-2-to-3-lb

All I did was put a Timney spring in it and clean up the surfaces. Huge different. Light and clean.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/222337/timney-trigger-spring-kit-browning-a-bolt-2-to-3-lb

Yeah that's what I want. 2.5-3 lb pull is light enough for me. I haven't put a gauge on my factory trigger but it has to be 5 lb....It is supposed to be adjustable but the A Bolt II trigger is a PITA to mess with. I would probably screw it up. This spring kit should be simple enough and make it about right.

Back
Top Bottom